Mortar Gun recommendation

ToughButterCup

I bought a Roughneck mortar gun from Wickes last summer and used it for pointing the slabs in the garden. Worked a treat, very easy to use without getting mortar on the slabs. It is important to wash it out after every three or four fills, or it will pack up.

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Any reason ..?[...]

Yes.

I drilled into a Durisol block hoping to fix a stainless threaded bar in the concrete. And found fresh air.

The cure  is to make a thin mix of cement and PVA and, using a mortar gun,  pour it into the 16mm hole I made (for the threaded bar), and wait.

I love trowel work, and won't be using the mortar gun unless I have a good reason not to use a trowel.

Ian

I got the rough neck version as well and it comes with every attachment under the sun. As Peter says it's the mix that is the important bit, to watery and you will just end up with water coming out and hard sand cement in the gun. Too tight and nothing comes out and you burst the spring.

Would expanding foam not do your job. With all the concrete and steel that is in the walls its not really a structural issue having pockets so using foam will be quicker and ensure its fully sealed up.

59 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

[...]

Would expanding foam not do your job. With all the concrete and steel that is in the walls its not really a structural issue having pockets so using foam will be quicker and ensure its fully sealed up.

No @Declan52: I wish Soudal would do, but it won't. I need to anchor a stainless threaded bar in the wal.....

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

I got the rough neck version as well and it comes with every attachment under the sun. As Peter says it's the mix that is the important bit, to watery and you will just end up with water coming out and hard sand cement in the gun. Too tight and nothing comes out and you burst the spring.

I've used one to grout the patio (5mm gaps) and it works a treat. Would suggest making up small batches with a paddle mixer to get a nice smooth consistency.

I had a large bucket of water that the gun went into using each batch (3-4 refills). Had a cup of tea and then washed it out for the next batch.

Well I missed this one. The answer when pointing bricks/slabs is to use more feb and less water and whisk the living crap out of it. Also empty the tube and refill. Don’t just put more in on top or it just keeps compacting and will jam.

But In this case you probably do want to use resin. Heavily whisked mortar will never be very “strong” no matter how much cement you use as you will have introduced so much air. Sorry if I’m too late

hth 

Ed