Why are most PV installed "portrait" rather than "landscape"

DenkiJidousha

Most panels are about 1m by 1.6m, so like a letter or a photo, to me it makes sense to refer to the possible orientations as portrait and landscape. Are there standard terms for this in the trade?

Anyway, I've noticed that unless the roof space is constrained, most installations are two rows of "portrait" orientation solar panels. Sometimes you see a few squeezed in as "landscape".

I wondered why. Two reasons have occurred to me. First with traditional inverters expecting two matching strings of panels, two rows is a simple way to set this up on a typical UK house roof.

Second, with the portrait mounting you'd need about 2m of rail per panel, versus landscape needing 3.2m of railing per panel - so that's a simple materials cost difference.

Other than that, is there any other reason? Is one way round more secure/stronger? With a modern micro-inverter or similar design if it just down to a nicely filling the available space?

I used to work out the most efficient way to fit modules.  Really comes down to the roof shape and the number of modules that you want fitted.  If space is no object, then portrait as it, as you say, reduce the amount of rail an makes the wiring easy.

I suspect it is down to a simple install under G83 max 16A per phase on a domestic (single phase) gives 3.68kW, gives 16 panels for most standard panels.  This ends up as two rows of 8 panels and as @SteamyTea says it is the most efficient install to put them portrait.

To go beyond this requires more effort (normally) and in the past the installers were only interested in the simple installs.

Doing it yourself then anything goes, I have 37 x 250w panels on my roof 9.2kW, however this is split across 3-phases so stays within G83 limits.  My panels are portrait as it was the most efficient, 3 x rows of 9 on the SW face, staggered and 10 the SE hip, one row of 2 and one row of 8.  These are on GSE in roof mounts.

• 2 weeks later...

fixing.

the rails that hold them run horizontal across roof joists.

to do it other way you would need more rails and the load would not be spread over the roof.

on new build they are inset into the roof and go into the same tray as a velux window uses between the joists. No room to do them the other way.

Edited by Fredd
typo

21 minutes ago, Fredd said:

on new build they are inset into the roof and go into the same tray as a velux window uses between the joists. No room to do them the other way.

No they don’t. None of the “in roof” systems work in the way you describe as far as I’m aware. Plenty of correct information on this forum, search GSE as a starter. 

7 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

No they don’t. None of the “in roof” systems work in the way you describe as far as I’m aware. Plenty of correct information on this forum, search GSE as a starter. 

the ones we fit do! and they look good as well as they follow the profile of the tile.

12 hours ago, Fredd said:

fixing.

the rails that hold them run horizontal across roof joists.

to do it other way you would need more rails and the load would not be spread over the roof.

Not true.  All the in roof systems we looked at allowed either portrait or landscape fitting, you just choose which you want.  Mixing a matching isn't easy, so best to stick to one orientation, IMHO.

We used the GSE integration system, in portrait mode:

5a770ea4a421b_Trees-banklaneview.thumb.JPG.2bbc86c59117d6ea63e9c5f8c7b0ba62.JPG

A house in the next village to me has just had the same in-roof GSE system fitted to a barn with the panels all in landscape orientation.  From what I recall when we were looking, the other major in-roof manufacturer, Easy Roof (near identical to the GSE system) also allowed landscape orientation.

1 hour ago, le-cerveau said:

Panels  in both orientations, even mixed on one face!

Obviously trying to maximise the number of panels.

Get lots like that down here, they have the same stupid roof shape.

Someone used to make triangular modules, but they were not cost effective at all.