retaining wall finish

lizzie

I have about 120sq m of block retaining wall I neded to finish in some cosmetic way without breaking the bank.

Its in two separate runs  one is approx 25m long x 3m high and is at the back of the house - its a metre off my back house wall and thats the ‘alley’ that we have used for all our manholes and pipes etc, not an area of beauty but a good services area. I have a back door from my utility room opening into the alley, I dont envisage that getting a lot of use.

The two runs of wall are in fact continuous but the garage is built  into to wall and so separates them.

The other pice of wall is more visible it forms the side wall of our driveway and is approx 13 m long x 3 m high, this needs some decent finish as it is a ‘public’ area and will be on view to everyone.

The retaining wall is a huge engineered construction 450 wide topped with a coping stone and with a cavity full of steel and concrete and tanking membrane on the neighbours side below ground section (its holding up circa 1.5m of neighbours garden) the remaining metre above ground on that side  forms the boundary wall with neighbour. We did his side with brick above  so that side is finished and done. Ours is full 3m height in block.

Render of some sort seems the obvious solution but I am not sure how it will do on this wall plus there is the cost. We have to spend on the public bit and save a bit where we can in the alley I think.

Any suggestions?

9CD5D08F-4377-4211-B930-8EA0552BA30A.thumb.jpeg.8c3c4ee6e494b162419fbdf2d622b8d6.jpeg2BDE0D9A-991D-4EC6-93B8-158F6EEDC680.thumb.jpeg.5bec387a5cd04b2eb1b1eb1847bfe27f.jpeg60307E4F-F6CE-47DA-9671-BF1BD5037B71.thumb.jpeg.944b0994e2ef16f316097312efd63d9a.jpeg

I might be tempted by simple dark masonry paint .. brick red or slate grey.

Certainly pros and cons, but could be effective and cost effective.

I really would not throw thousands at it as I cannot see a way to get a better or more practical surface easily, and I cannot see how to avoid doing so.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I might be tempted by simple dark masonry paint .. brick red or slate grey.

Certainly pros and cons, but could be effective and cost effective.

I really would not throw thousands at it as I cannot see a way to get a better or more practical surface easily, and I cannot see how to avoid doing so.

Wow now that is a great idea...I have been flirting with some sort of masonry paint but only looking at white. The slate grey idea would be better at hiding the blocks and I think could look quite stylish....will explore and thank you!

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

The slate grey idea would be better at hiding the blocks 

I agree that the slate grey would look great.

The usual reason for choosing white in a location like yours is to maximise light reflection. Do you have many windows where the light would important?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I agree that the slate grey would look great.

The usual reason for choosing white in a location like yours is to maximise light reflection. Do you have many windows where the light would important?

I have areas of both red brick and buttermilk over breezeblock in my garden covering multitudes of sins eg back of next doors garages and the red brick paint can be recovered only very 5-6 years or so.

If you have windows faving the wall, then I would do something abstract to give interest on the wall eg a frame of cut bamboo canes or even core ten, to make the visual interest away from the window to outside. It makes your room feel that it has window boxes, and is very effective,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

How about doing the bottom foot a different colour as that looks damp and will probably require more frequent work. 

Good idea. Our ground level will come up but I think the bottom will still be darker as its got the earth behind it the other side of the cavity. I do a ‘skirt’ like the house!