Any sofa supplier recommendation?

We are looking for some nice furniture for our new living room and are struggling to find suitable suppliers of comfortable and functional furniture.  We've looked at the usual chain suppliers such as DFS and Furniture Village, and in my view their ranges (or at least the ones we looked at) just aren't to our taste.  

We like the sofas from the the English Sofa Company, but I am interested if anyone can recommend alternatives.  We live near Northampton and the ESC is in Salford which is about a 6 hr round trip if we want to try any out. :( 

We went to Heals, Tottenham court road, for our main sofa's in 1985 and they are both still great although they have been recovered and cushioned a few times. For the difficult corner sofa we commissioned a local furniture maker and that is now in its 15th year and still wonderful.

And the rule of thumb is: Spend a bit more now to get quality and long life.

A few years back my Mum took a fancy to the neighbours new 3-piece. It was from a Welsh company SofaSofa. They had a "roadshow" in a massive, somewhat seedy hotel out near Heathrow. I was very dubious thinking "time share / hard sell" but took Mum up there and there was no hard sell or annoying pushiness. You just wandered around having a sit and if you saw something you liked there was half a dozen desks with their reps you went up to. She got a good deal from memory and it's still going strong.

https://www.sofasofa.co.uk

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

[...]

I will be going to Preston to try them

Just down the road from us.

I'm dreadfully tempted to abuse my Admin powers and delete this thread - only a matter of time before SWMBO will be 'letting me have her way'  purely for reference and research purposes naturally.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lizzie said:

My former neighbours had two beautiful handmade knole sofas from www.whiteheaddesigns.com in Nottingham. Again not cheap but will last a lifetime.

4 hours ago, lizzie said:

There is a company in Preston Lancs  doing bespoke sofas (not cheap) and I have been hankering after one for ages. If I have any loot left at the end i will be going to Preston to try them

www.jamesandrose.co.uk 

Hi Lizzie 

They are based about half a mile from we’re we live 

Fantastic quality and prices aren’t to bad for what you are getting 

Great reputation locally 

My wife has already got her eye on a couple of sofas from there

36 minutes ago, nod said:

Hi Lizzie 

They are based about half a mile from we’re we live 

Fantastic quality and prices aren’t to bad for what you are getting 

Great reputation locally 

My wife has already got her eye on a couple of sofas from there

Good to know.....there goes the render in favour of masonry paint and a new sofa LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well we drove up to Manchester and stayed overnight then went to the English Sofa Company  factory / showroom the following morning.  Jan and I were far from impressed with styles and even more so with the (lack of) quality: the leather seaming was crude and untidy; leather on the display items was sometimes pulled / strained and the designs were uncomfortable to sit in.  So after 30 mins in the showroom, we took our leave and headed south. 

On the way back I had a look on Google maps at where the sofa shops were in Birmingham and Coventry, but we decided that they were just too dispersed to make a "shotgun in the dark" stop-overs worthwhile.  I then checked MK and discovered that all of the main sofa shops are in one mall square.  So back to MK, and after a few tries we ended up in a shop in the square that isn't even listed on Google: Natuzzi: Italian and extremely high quality in terms of comfort, style and attention to detail in the finishing -- albeit expensive.  However after the ESC and the other showrooms, both Jan and I felt that the Natuzzi stuff was just in a different league so we decided to bite the bullet and pay for the quality.

• Like 1

Good call, nice sofas.

I can’t afford them ?

Halo was another than turned our heads before we realised we should just buy some shit from one of the sheds. Also looked at Red brick mill in Batley for anyone northern powerhouse based 

Edited by daiking

1 hour ago, TerryE said:

So back to MK, and after a few tries we ended up in a shop in the square that isn't even listed on Google: Natuzzi: Italian and extremely high quality in terms of comfort, style and attention to detail in the finishing -- albeit expensive.  However after the ESC and the other showrooms, both Jan and I felt that the Natuzzi stuff was just in a different league so we decided to bite the bullet and pay for the quality.

Natuzzi is beautiful. They have one in their current range that I love but it would cost me nigh on 10k for the combo I want and its just isnt on at the mo. Huge Natuzzi envy here!

Another Italian brand I love - have some of their chairs - is Calligaris. 

I’ll keep buying the lottery tickets!

1 hour ago, TerryE said:

both Jan and I felt that the Natuzzi stuff was just in a different league so we decided to bite the bullet and pay for the quality.

We bought a Natuzzi three seater recliner twelve years ago and it's still comfortable. The only gripe is that the surface of the leather is no longer smooth. The Stressless chair we bought at the same time is perfect with no wear. I think it must depend very much on the grade of leather.

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Try Made for sofas online and then come into London for a sit and try session on Charing Cross Rd. They do a readily available corner unit for change from £1250 which isn’t bad  at all and the quality is good. 

Is that Made.com?

I love their ethos with young designers. Have had one or two small items from them but nothing of any substance. Have just ordered some bar stools for our breakfast bar...copper legs!

I think they have opened a showroom in Birmingham now so may take a trip in, thanks for the tip I would not have looked at them otherwise and price sounds a goodie for my nigh on empty bank account!

• 7 months later...