Granted. YEEEES GET IN.

Russell griffiths

So after 14 months of stress and worry we were granted full consent, for a replacement dwelling on our plot. 

A couple of years ago we where told we would not get planning full stop, so being a bit of an awkward bloke I decided to go for it. 

We have had to jump through plenty of hoops and spent a big chunk of cash but it’s done, PASSED. 

I would like to thank @JSHarris for his encouragement in making a scale model, I think this shocked our planning officer to the detail we had put into our application, I think he was also shocked when I produced photos from the 60s showing our plot and our neighbours house. 

so the moral to this is don’t give up if you feel you are right and also supply as much supporting evidence as you can. 

Im going to add up all the bills and see what it has cost us, if anybody is interested I will put them up. 

Thanks to anybody who offered advice or encouragement. 

Russell and Lorraine Griffiths. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Well done

I can never understand why this should have been so difficult. You wanted a replacement dwelling so that should be straightforward, not as though you are trying to get permission for green belt land in a national park......

@Russell griffiths

thats brilliant news!! Well done for giving it a go and for being persistent! It’s such a great feeling when you win against all the odds isn’t it!

We had a similar situation with our own build in an AONB in N Wales . I had an initial meeting with the Planning Officer and showed her some drawings of what we wanted to do. She told me very bluntly that there was no way we would be granted PP.

2 years later (+ an appeal) we got full PP for a building larger than the one I’d initially shown her.

• Like 2

That's absolutely fantastic!  As you can see, you've got a lot of people here rooting for you. That moral support here has carried us through at times too. Yes, the costs to get to that point are amazing aren't they? I must admit, the costs even before a spade went in the ground were a real surprise to us too, and seem never  to be properly covered in the T.V programmes.  If it's any consolation, we have found what I call the "real people", i.e builders, electric, water people and so on, though not always without their issues of course, have been far easier to deal with than the mandarins and place fillers you have to get past to start.  So the adventure really beings now!  Best wishes to you both.

Edited by curlewhouse

Top stuff !

i took 5 years to get planning and even recorded some of council “meetings” . Because if they don’t like you it’s a hard fight . Perseverance wins as you wear your opponent down .

Now you’ve got planning the next stage of fun begins !!!

And in one simple post, you've illustrated the key thing about self-building: the need for persistence. 

Yes, I for one would like a general indication of how much it has cost you: no need for detail. It will help to counter the oft repeated saw that self-builders are made of money.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Planners seem to want to refuse unless they don't have an option.

This 100%. We had a two year fight that ended up with the inspectorate (who granted permission) coming down from Bristol & slamming Cornwall councils refusal decision. A complete waste of everyone's time and money.

20 minutes ago, bissoejosh said:

This 100%. We had a two year fight that ended up with the inspectorate (who granted permission) coming down from Bristol & slamming Cornwall councils refusal decision. A complete waste of everyone's time and money.

Lol

mine went to a vote with Bristol council after 5 years ! . Chairman abstained with a 4 - 3 in favour majority . If he had voted against would of been 4 - 4 ; then he gets to vote again !!  ??

So I’ve had the wife sit down with a calculator and add up exactly what our planning consent has cost us if anybody is interested here it is. 

Topography survey. £546

ecology survey.        £1065

ecology cemp.         £1008

architect.                  £4462

hydrology.                £1320

landscape architect. £640

planning consultant £4597

council fees.             £385

model making.         £88

photocopying.          £22

total.                         £ 14134

there you go that’s a bit scary, I had anticipated this costing around 15grand, so I’ve come in under budget. 

Bloody hell, I’m going to go back to bed and cuddle my wallet as it’s still in shock. 

On the bright side our land has just increased in value by a large chunk. 

• Like 1