underfloor heating products and quality

Lin

I had a supply quote a few weeks ago from one of the big boys of UFH, for a screed based system.

I have since had a quote from a firm that do the whole thing of fitting dpc, insulation, laying UFH and pouring the liquid screed. The quote is itemised for each stage.

For the UFH only , the cost of supply and laying the pipe, mainfold, and controllers is cheaper then just the supply of the big brand one.

Obviously quality is important, but where do i start ?

Any suggestions for unravelling the quality / price / sensible choice conundrum and what brands are good ... what to look for etc

Pipe is the most important I guess; the bit that you can't get to very easily should it spring a leak.

@Lin

Pipe should ideally be a Pex Al Pex which is a very robust, aluminium lined pipe ( which my screeders wheel wheelbarrows over and trample on with zero ill effect ). 

The manifold is an issue, as type should be dependant on your required heat output and the type of heat source, and that criteria will also dictate whether the pipe is laid at 100mm / 150mm or 200mm centres. Its also likely that they won't give any consideration to the peripherals such as 'do you need a buffer' etc. 

Id ask a few more questions so they become responsible for a) the system performing properly and b) it being compatible with your heat source, eg gas boiler / ASHP / other. 

Thanks Nick for your reply

Yeah it did just occur to me that the more expensive quote without fitting could have more dense spacing because we were considering ASHP at the time

Does anybody do independant designs that will take into account our insulation of the whole building etc that we can then get various suppliers to price for the design so they are all equal  as such ?

Also it did occur to me after reading another thread that maybe even though we are likely going down the gas route, that we should put more pipe in the ground in case we change heat source in years to come so it can still function at a lower temp ?

Is PEX not better than pex-al-pex?