Windows choice

Tiny

Hi Folks

trying to make sense of window quotes, as they range from 62k down to 19k, for Ali clad timber, triple glazed target u value below 1. In an attempt to check the market, I came across Synseal Warmcell a UPVC Ali clad with 44mm triple glazing. Has anyone any experience of this product?

Also when fitting large sliding doors, what takes the weight if trying to sit within the insulated area, which is the cavity effectively. I am using concrete blocks with 150mm cavity fully filled with Dritherm 37. Thanks in advance

What sort of m2 total you talking about?

We're quoting for about 49m2 with Rationel, Internorm, Velfac, Gaulhofer and Katzbeck and for the ones we've had back they're all sitting within ~£500 of one another at £20k... similar specs too. 

Not sure whether it's coincidence, good pricing or some insider talking going on! Either way, it is expensive this building malarkey.

8 minutes ago, Visti said:

What sort of m2 total you talking about?

We're quoting for about 49m2 with Rationel, Internorm, Velfac, Gaulhofer and Katzbeck and for the ones we've had back they're all sitting within ~£500 of one another at £20k... similar specs too. 

Not sure whether it's coincidence, good pricing or some insider talking going on! Either way, it is expensive this building malarkey.

+1:/

It does seem to be a lottery. In my case Rationel were the cheapest (ali clad 3G) and second best. Internorm had slightly better Uw values but at twice the price. Yet others have reportd Internorm being cheaper than Rationel.

I have not had any problems with the Rationel doors or windows.

You have to compare the u-value of the whole window not just the glass. Some tricky sales people will quote the u-value of the glass which is always better rather than the overall window. With the timber some companies insulate the timber core which improves it's u-value. This can add considerable cost making it harder to compare.

eg

energate_12021__large.jpg

Above they both look identical but one is far superior to the other due to the insulated core (yellow insulation) with a far superior price tag. For me Rational were cheaper than Internorm but they couldn't do a 6 meter ope in one piece and wanted to split it in two so went with internorm to avoid the fat mullion in the middle.

Hi, wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction. We have bought an old property and have been getting quotes on windows. I have attached a picture of the window sizes and house elevation with an example of the chosen design. The property has 15 windows, two bays, Front entrance, rear door, and French doors to garden. We have a open mind as to what to go for and have looked at and had quotes on wood flush casement windows,  double glazed Engineered redwood (most expensive (£45,000) , Aluminium heritage style (£39,000), and I have recently come across Rationel Forma Plus. 

We like the Rationel but the quote for Rationel Forma plus in double glazed units , came in at £23,828 but the company in question had a total fitted price including cills of £33,173, which to me seems an awful lot for fitting.

I am going to look for other Rationel suppliers and try them, but would anyone know if this price is usual ? From some of the other older forums the price seems a bit expensive for what we are looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 1.pdf

Why only double glazing, are you not looking at triple?

Fitting is the key, otherwise you are wasting money as all the heat you save with good windows runs through the edge and you get condensation issues.

However my windows were almost twice this cost and I had more windows and doors and they were fitted for less so I suspect something is not quite right here as mine also included airtightness taping.

On your windows with modern units (not standard British designs) you could get nice tilt and turn windows without all the bars (cold spots) for example you could have a single pane of glass for each face of the bay windows, same goes for a lot of the other windows, single pane or just one mullion on the 2m wide ones.

Don't be limited by standard British windows, look at other options.

• Like 1

After much negotiation our internorm fitting was circa 5k ex vat. Presumably your quote is inc vat as not new build?

I dont know if the calculate on sq m of windows or per opening. We had lots of big glass area and you have lots more smaller windows so maybe a fiddle factor on the pricing?

Rationel, Ideal combi, Velfac etc are all supply only not supply and fit package like Internorm.  You then get your fitting via recommended companies, I would look at other Rationel suppliers within a reasonable distance you may find they offer a better price on the fit.......or you can buy windows and get your builder to fit. We had quoted from Rationel et al but went for Internorm as they couldnt do the sizes we wanted but I do recall that we had variations on fitting price with the other suppliers.

If you can get Munster to quote their prices are really good, Kloeber good too, if you are 2g not 3g lots of choice in a much more competitive market.

• Like 1

If you want a traditional style mullion but with modern advantages Munster do one that is just like an original sash and the mullions are stick on strips so you have one big pane underneath much better for u values etc

A couple of years ago Munster did the glazing on an Edwardian school conversion I have part of, it is one of the best parts of the whole job, superb windows. It is conservation area listed building and the windows pased all the regs.

Have look at their website...www.Munsterjoinery.ie and look at projects and commercial there you will see Henley in Arden school conversion. Only problem with Munster is getting a quote out of them.  Their Uk base is in Wellesbourne near Stratford upon Avon but everything has to go via Ireland.  Great windows, brilliant price if they work for you.

4DF20586-2688-4376-B2F3-0F1A4B721676.jpeg

Edited by lizzie
spelling
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, le-cerveau said:

Why only double glazing, are you not looking at triple?

Fitting is the key, otherwise you are wasting money as all the heat you save with good windows runs through the edge and you get condensation issues.

However my windows were almost twice this cost and I had more windows and doors and they were fitted for less so I suspect something is not quite right here as mine also included airtightness taping.

On your windows with modern units (not standard British designs) you could get nice tilt and turn windows without all the bars (cold spots) for example you could have a single pane of glass for each face of the bay windows, same goes for a lot of the other windows, single pane or just one mullion on the 2m wide ones.

Don't be limited by standard British windows, look at other options.

Thanks for the advice, I think from what I have been told so far that Double glazing would be sufficient. We aren't exposed and it is an old property and many of the advantages of triple glazing would probably be lost from other areas of the house. As for the design, the house is circa 1920/30 and  sits in between lots of Victorian villas, and to be honest the single pane look isn't one I particularly like (just my preference). I have emailed another two Rationel suppliers today for quotes and will see what they come back with. Thanks again

5 hours ago, lizzie said:

If you want a traditional style mullion but with modern advantages Munster do one that is just like an original sash and the mullions are stick on strips so you have one big pane underneath much better for u values etc

A couple of years ago Munster did the glazing on an Edwardian school conversion I have part of, it is one of the best parts of the whole job, superb windows. It is conservation area listed building and the windows pased all the regs.

Have look at their website...www.Munsterjoinery.ie and look at projects and commercial there you will see Henley in Arden school conversion. Only problem with Munster is getting a quote out of them.  Their Uk base is in Wellesbourne near Stratford upon Avon but everything has to go via Ireland.  Great windows, brilliant price if they work for you.

4DF20586-2688-4376-B2F3-0F1A4B721676.jpeg

Hi Lizzie, I don't think I am replying to this in the right way? any way, thanks for your help. I will take a look at Munster,and the other companies you suggested.

Thanks again

Ste

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteRob said:

Hi Lizzie, I don't think I am replying to this in the right way?

It looks like there was a problem with the quote in your previous post. I've just fixed it. Looks like you have the hang of it now :ph34r: 

• Like 1