Self Build insurance - whats covered

Triassic

I’ve been getting quotes for self Build insurance and the quotes have varied by hundreds of pounds. I’m finding the process a bit opaque, you answer questions online or over the phone, each company asks vaguel similar questions, yet the quotes vary so much. So I thought I’d start by trying to understand what is it I’m insuring, the building, my tools stored on site, public liability, anything else? Is there a good standard in self Build insurance?

6 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I’ve been getting quotes for self Build insurance and the quotes have varied by hundreds of pounds. I’m finding the process a bit opaque, you answer questions online or over the phone, each company asks vaguel similar questions, yet the quotes vary so much. So I thought I’d start by trying to understand what is it I’m insuring, the building, my tools stored on site, public liability, anything else? Is there a good standard in self Build insurance?

Good question

we used protect insurance 

The policy received was ambiguous to say the least 

I called them and was no wiser

Weve just had the renewal Which we ignored 

Whe we received a follow up call 

We stated our reason for not renewing They then sent us another much more detailed renewal 

Perhaps we should have done this in the first place

But like most of us when we are finally getting started

Lots to do Little time to do it

I sustained some damage on-site and wanted to make a claim. So read the policy a few times and was none the wiser if this was covered - the language is designed to make it difficult for us mere mortals.

Having said that, spoke to the broker and a claim went in and (after a lot of chasing) got looked at and then eventually paid out.

• Like 1