Farrow and Ball paint: is it that much better?

ToughButterCup

Exactly the same from the guy who did our decorating. The colours can be matched by many other paints. The "chalkiness" obviously isn't there, but apparently it's a nightmare, because the moment you touch, scuff, or wash it, you get a patch that looks different from the rest.

• Like 2

In my previous house the entire place was decorated in F&B. Its not only the chalkiness its the depth of pigment and how the colours change in the light you are paying for. The copies cannot match it in any way, at one point I tried the copies in Johnstone and Dulux no-one who knows would mistake it for true F&B.

Decorators universally hate it because it needs more care and coats to get an even finish.

In my new house I am going for Dulux Trade Ulramatt tinted to my preferred shade....not a F&B copy colour. Having had F&B in all its glory I said never again. It is a nightmare to keep looking perfect and I am a perfectionist so every little mark drove me nuts and cost me fortunes in redecoration. We are a 2 adult household no kids so didnt have any real wear and tear but still every little mark shows.

If you want F&B in a wipeable finish go for the modern emulsion not the flat estate emulsion.  It was not for me its the hint of shine in the modern I dislike I want the flattest  flat matt.

One F&B product I would and will use in preference to main stream paints is their eggshell for wood.  Its brilliant.

Nice alternative to F&B if you want to pay the premium for designer paint that is a bit more robust is Little Green. I love Craig and Rose paint but its even more difficult than F&B to keep perfect.

Join the million discussion boards on Mumsnet about F&B and the pros and cons and the best copy colours. Hours of fun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

A whisper in my ear about  Farrow and Ball  paint  being better than all the rest....  

Is it?

It's 'ouch-that-hurt' more expensive than the competition......

We did one large double height feature wall in matt F&B and it was okay although it marks a lot compared to all the other walls which we did with matt Dulux 'Endurance'....and yes, the F&B is v expensive.

The paint that impressed me the most however in terms of ease of use was Dulux water based "Satinwood" in a mid sheen for all the (pre-primed) skirting boards and architraves. It was so much easier to use than traditional oil based gloss paints and brushes wash out cleanly in warm soapy water.

Edited by Ian

We have used F&B before and don't now because it is just the pain described above. For my part I have recently been amazed by how good the Dulux weathershield 6 coat system is - which although needing 6 coats is a joy to work with, two of sealer, two of undercoat and two topcoat. It is not cheap but it goes one very well, covers very well, has a six year guarantee and is available in any colour!

In the past I have colour marched Farrow and Ball at Johnstones Decorating Centre .. adqeuate For a non-magnolia requirement for a renovation.

Now I would still do the colour match (though the names of whites have now reached psychedelia .. my latest was Natural Calico, which is nothing like natural calcico), but it could have been about 40 names all of which are nearly the same off-white with an x tint.

But I seem to have detected quite some variation in mixed paint prices. I think Valspar looks promising.

ONe key req for me is now that paints be sprayable.

Edited by Ferdinand

Natural Calico was my go to colour for all my rentals. Its a great colour, one of the expensive dulux heritage colours with some fancy white name is in fact the exact same colour mix as natural calico.....as told to me by brewers decorators merchants. 

Never tried any spray paint always used the old fashioned way with rollers and brushes.

Have you registered at local Dulux decorator centre. Great trade prices and Nectar points and when they run their special promotions you often find 20% off vouchers available....and they deliver the paint to you free of charge.

With the trade discounts, nectar points and the money off vouchers way cheaper than B&Q valspar and much better paint too. Plus proper vat receipt for reclaim.

Edited by lizzie
post before finished

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

Natural Calico was my go to colour for all my rentals. Its a great colour, one of the expensive dulux heritage colours with some fancy white name is in fact the exact same colour mix as natural calico.....as told to me by brewers decorators merchants. 

Never tried any spray paint always used the old fashioned way with rollers and brushes.

Have you registered at local Dulux decorator centre. Great trade prices and Nectar points and when they run their special promotions you often find 20% off vouchers available....and they deliver the paint to you free of charge.

With the trade discounts, nectar points and the money off vouchers way cheaper than B&Q valspar and much better paint too. Plus proper vat receipt for reclaim.

EVery time and I try a use Dulux I end up swearing that I will never again touch them with a bargepole. 

THat also happened this time, since they said it would spray and it didn't not do.

The White I chose ... fairly sure it was Natural Calico - was chosen as it was in  all the ranges (easycase, kitchen, bathroom, scrubbable etc) but also part of the limited range that were half price at Wickes (beat Dulux centre prices with an egg whisk).

But in the end it would not spray so we ended up with 6-7 days of rollering rather than 1 day of spraying. SO it is back to the bargepole....

Ferdinand

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

EVery time and I try a use Dulux I end up swearing that I will never again touch them with a bargepole. 

THat also happened this time, since they said it would spray and it didn't not do.

The White I chose ... fairly sure it was Natural Calico - was chosen as it was in  all the ranges (easycase, kitchen, bathroom, scrubbable etc) but also part of the limited range that were half price at Wickes (beat Dulux centre prices with an egg whisk).

But in the end it would not spray so we ended up with 6-7 days of rollering rather than 1 day of spraying. SO it is back to the bargepole....

Ferdinand

Ah thats a pain you need a thin paint for spraying presumably so you have to add water if its a thicker paint. Have you tried the Brewers own brand trade - Albany I think it is called. Have used it as a misting base layer on the new plaster as it was really good value on offer. Must have a got a very good deal from our Dulux  centre on my mixed colour top coat it was cheaper by far than anyone else. TBH I think Valspar is not a great paint having tried it in one of my rentals I would need the bargepole for it.

3 hours ago, lizzie said:

Ah thats a pain you need a thin paint for spraying presumably so you have to add water if its a thicker paint. Have you tried the Brewers own brand trade - Albany I think it is called. Have used it as a misting base layer on the new plaster as it was really good value on offer. Must have a got a very good deal from our Dulux  centre on my mixed colour top coat it was cheaper by far than anyone else. TBH I think Valspar is not a great paint having tried it in one of my rentals I would need the bargepole for it.

It is quite a tricky issue, and there us a thread somewhere about airless paint spray information and advice. This is airless not air-driven.

You cannot just dilute and spray, but when you get the right setup you can spray 150sqm to 200sqm per hour of wall. For new plaster or a renovate full skim, that is transformative of efficiency.

Leyland Trade Contract worked fine, but by the time I was into finish Coates I had £150 of wrong stuff.

Edited by Ferdinand

We've used F&B for the whole house. I've been painting for years, as has my father for years longer than me. We are both agreed - it's a much better paint to apply. In terms of finish its vastly superior to anything Duluz or Valspar can offer. It' quite inexplicable. We have 3 walls in the main living room Ammonite which we thought would go well in the bathroom wall. Looks a totally different colour when applied in the bathroom. The Dimpse in the entrance changes with the light during the day. The Peignoir in the other living room wall you would swear is a different colour to the same paint in the dining area. It's bizarre, it's probably unscientific but in my opinion, it's worth it. We have a Valspar paint on the kitchen and it's pretty much the same colour no matter when. It has no depth or character. And the F&B eggshell for the skirting and door frames? Best paint I've ever used, goes on like a dream and looks lovely. You may get colour matches but that's only one dimension of the whole equation. 

• 2 years later...