Farrow and Ball paint: is it that much better?

ToughButterCup

I've been through many paints over the years:

• Started with Dulux - Was OK, but never liked how it went on and was quite smelly
  • Crown Breatheasy next - Nicer than Dulux, and smells much less
  • Wilko Scrubbable - About as nice as Crown for application, less expensive than the above, but does smell quite a bit
  • F&B Modern - Went on like a dream, its a lot lot thinner than the other brands i've used, thought this was a problem at first, but turned out it was this that made it better. Left a much smoother finish than the other paints, making wiping much easier - Using same roller as i used above - Out of all of the paints this was the least smelly, even in the modern, washable version
  • Little Greene - Slightly thicker than F&B but thinner than the others, tiny bit of odour but less than the others aside from F&B. Doesn't cover quite as well as F&B with it being slightly thicker.

Would definitely go for the F&B again over the others, its a shame it costs so much more, but you get what you pay for, and a metal tin rather than the horrid plastic ones causing more plastic waste.

51 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

and a metal tin rather than the horrid plastic ones causing more plastic waste.

Don’t most people put the tins, metal or not, in the standard rubbish bin that goes to landfill? 

16 minutes ago, newhome said:

Don’t most people put the tins, metal or not, in the standard rubbish bin that goes to landfill

5 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

probably, but regardless its better a metal tin being in landfill than a plastic one

Why?

I am sure with a bit of research it can be shown that neither a good to put into landfill, but an plastic pot can go in an incinerator and generate some electrical power.

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Why?

I am sure with a bit of research it can be shown that neither a good to put into landfill, but an plastic pot can go in an incinerator and generate some electrical power.

Not sure i agree with you on that front.

Plastic in landfill will leach toxins into the ground and also slowly break down into micro plastics over the years, steel will do neither.

1 minute ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

steel will do neither

Yes it will, there is no reason to assume that steel, which is a mixture of more than just iron, will not leach.

Most 'tin' cans have a plastic coating these days.

Modern landfill sites have to have an impermeable layer to stop leachates anyway.

That is before calculating the different embodied energy and carbon, the opportunities to recycle efficiently and effectively, and the overall 'messiness' of the production methods.

As always, these things are not clear cut, so research must be done before making a sweeping statement.

21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes it will, there is no reason to assume that steel, which is a mixture of more than just iron, will not leach.

Most 'tin' cans have a plastic coating these days.

Modern landfill sites have to have an impermeable layer to stop leachates anyway.

That is before calculating the different embodied energy and carbon, the opportunities to recycle efficiently and effectively, and the overall 'messiness' of the production methods.

As always, these things are not clear cut, so research must be done before making a sweeping statement.

i'll agree to disagree on that one.

Would love to know the percentage of 'modern' landfill sites and how many of these impermeable layers have been breached in some way.

Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon containing less than 2% carbon and 1% manganese and small amounts of silicon, phosphorus, sulphur and oxygen

I don't see anything man-made in steel...

The packaging is infinitely recyclable – metal tins can be recycled over and over again, it may even turn up in your home again one day!

And a quote from F&B.

The steel (not tin) cans actually have a zinc coating (from memory) on the inside to stop rust, I don't see any plastic on any of my steel cans.

Anyway, like I say, i'll agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Steel would be recycled - or should be. 

So should polyethylene.

25 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

don't see anything man-made in steel

Except the whole process. I have never seen steel being mined. Though I have seen iron ore and oil being pulled from the earth.

I paint whatever I'm given. Recently got reamed buying a specific colour in Dulux Trade Diamond Matt, could have bought F&B. It seemed really think but to be fair I got more coverage than I expected and it does look pretty good. 

At the ripe old age of 5* I'm a relative newbie to painting having actively managed to avoid and delegate to SWMBO over the years. The nearest I ever got to painting was applying creosote, Sadolin and other assorted wood finishes and oils.

This forum put me onto Leyland Super Leytex as a first coat(s) on new plaster followed by Dulux Diamond Matt. The whole experience was dare I say pleasurable and imho looks great. 

• 1 year later...
On 24/01/2018 at 16:53, lizzie said:

One F&B product I would and will use in preference to main stream paints is their eggshell for wood.  Its brilliant.

I beg to differ. I’ve spent over £2k on F and B paints to do my whole house. Had an absolute nightmare with batch consistency of one of their eggshells. Likely to lead to litigation is so bad. F and B accept there is a problem, yet have only offered me a “free” can of paint, even though whole room will need to be repainted.

21 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I beg to differ. I’ve spent over £2k on F and B paints to do my whole house. Had an absolute nightmare with batch consistency of one of their eggshells. Likely to lead to litigation is so bad. F and B accept there is a problem, yet have only offered me a “free” can of paint, even though whole room will need to be repainted.

Interesting your experience here. We did our last place up with F & B in its entirety and can't say we were bowled over by the quality or finish. We used what was Ecos paints (I think now Lakeland paints?) for the next redecoration and one of the colours caused us a mega headache due to inconsistent pigmentation - it was so bad that when mixing the different pots, it went a completely different colour which looked really weird. Then when we had our two boys I used the trade Dulux diamond hardwearing whatever stuff that put up no resistance at all to the boys' tendencies to drive their hotwheels along the walls, especially when going up the stairs.

This time I'm trying Auro clay paint, the white tester of which I've had on a wall and occasionally rubbed my dirty building hands over it, left it for a while and then wiped off. I've been surprisingly re-assured with this so far I'm going to let the boys loose on a test wall. Pigments are realy nice in these paints too.

Edited by SimonD

We considered F&B and Earthborn. We ultimately decided against them both on their price point and also concerns around their durability. With two young kids it's enviable that our walls get scuffed and bumped and the reviews I'd read at the time weren't great in that respect. I didn't want to use a paint that needed regular touching up.

So we painted our house ourselves. Used dulux, leyland F and B matched and another coy that matches F and B. Then got some F and B for a small room. Sorry, but it defo looks better, miles so. It has a matt, chalky like finish we havnt seen on any other paint. Considering the gazzilions the house has cost to build, most of which you never see, spending more to get the best paint finish / look you want seems like small beer to me.

2 hours ago, redtop said:

So we painted our house ourselves. Used dulux, leyland F and B matched and another coy that matches F and B. Then got some F and B for a small room. Sorry, but it defo looks better, miles so. It has a matt, chalky like finish we havnt seen on any other paint. Considering the gazzilions the house has cost to build, most of which you never see, spending more to get the best paint finish / look you want seems like small beer to me.

I agree F and B looks much better and cannot be imitated. I’m just very disappointed that on this occasion we had such bad colour consistency between two batches of the same colour and finish, bought from the same F and B shop only weeks apart. Madness. Here is a picture showing the difference between the door and the architrave. Both the same estate emulsion colour and same estate eggshell finish, but from different tins/batches.B533B24D-9E23-4E76-9854-3381B1542B43.jpeg.c518ee6bd9cbb4878a203f40e3630f36.jpeg

Edited by Adsibob