Storm Damage!!

Barney12

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Oh dear. I wonder if your site insurance will cover that?

Just completing the claim form.

It was installed to the GSE specification.

What is worrying me more is that the system just isn't capable of withstanding the winds in this location.

When it has calmed down, I would want to inspect the aftermath and see what has failed, and see what improvements you could make if you re install the same i.e. look at reinforcing or suplementing the fixings provided.

Flooding is our issue today, heavy rain and melting snow. The burn is up as high as I want to see it just now and still it rains.....

That's the system I'd considered...seeing that (and given my location) feeling quite glad I didn't have any money left to install them.

Hope the claim is settled quickly.  Have you been in touch with GSE to see if there is anything you can do about addressing the fixings / where it has failed?

30 minutes ago, Stones said:

That's the system I'd considered...seeing that (and given my location) feeling quite glad I didn't have any money left to install them.

Hope the claim is settled quickly.  Have you been in touch with GSE to see if there is anything you can do about addressing the fixings / where it has failed?

I've emailed the supplier. No response yet.

Bad news @Barney12hope the claim goes well. Not good in Whitstable today either moving some 8x4   sheets about in 135Km winds is a bit like being attached  to a kite but all safe. Can hear some whistling from the garden room windows so will have to .find where that is coming from and a bit of water has blown in under the soleplate, no cladding yet, which I will have to find and fix. 

Edited by MikeSharp01
Typo

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Bad news @Barney12hope the claim goes well. Not good in Whitstable today either moving some 8x4   sheets about in 135Km winds is a bit like being attached  to a kite but all safe. Can hear some whistling from the garden room windows so will have to .find where that is coming from and a bit of water has blown in under the soleplate, no cladding yet, which I will have to find and fix. 

Don't even get me started on bloody windows. My Internorm windows leak in this stormy weather.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Yes i am stuck in Germany while my better half and the kids are in the guts of the bad weather on the west coast of Scotland..... find out on Sat how they and the buildings faired, its a total wind funnel my place......

Oh dear...:|

@Barney12

Can you remove the panels, fit some 10mm x 75mm aluminium strips where the panel fixing holes are, running from bottom to top with a cranked detail on the end, and fix the panels back down over it. Then from left to right fit another 10mm x 40-50mm flat bar so it runs under the leading edge of the bottom of the flashings, and then fix down through the flashing skirt into the flat bar?  

image.thumb.jpg.6889486c3da693f3d9d26bbe53913be0.jpg

Only pain is it'll raise the panels by the thickness of the vertical strips. Could you get something under the pv trays to fix into.......but then I suppose the design of the trays and panel retaining clips negates any through penetration......

It was very windy from the SW here last night, and at about 8AM today was very heavy rain.  Thankfully the leaks I fixed that caused my window to leak seem to have worked.

You may be able to GRP the existing tray, does depend what plastic it is made from.

Oh Barney,

I am so sorry.

We have the same system from GSE.

I have been at work since first light , so haven't managed to check ours.

I will get up there with a torch this evening when I get home.

Worried now.

The wind was really strong last night. Not as bad as last week but I suppose it depends on the direction.

The slating on our roof isn't finished yet on the edges as waiting for the render to go on before the dry verge can be fixed.

We are quite elevated & exposed.

Was it the flashing or the trays?

41 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It was very windy from the SW here last night, and at about 8AM today was very heavy rain. 

Yes, its the SW winds which always get us. They come straight up the valley and smack into the first large object; my house!

26 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Was it the flashing or the trays?

Its the top flashing which is aluminium.

I'm kicking myself as I replaced the lower flashing with lead. They supplied that god awful corrugated flash band type product which I have no faith in.

They do say in the manual that you can use lead (or lead substitute) instead of the aluminium system.

I've either got to find a way to bond the aluminium flashing down to prevent it lifting or just use lead.

The aluminium top system does have a c shaped section that slots onto the top row of panels but its only c20mm deep and my suspicion is that the clips that hold the flashing down (2 per strip) on the top edge have slowly moved with the wind force of this winters storms thus allowing the channel to pop off the top of the solar panels and lift.

The second annoyance is that my roofing mate that helped me put the panels in wanted to nail the top edge of the flashing to the battens but I wouldn't let him and said we should follow the manufacturers instructions and instead used the little galvanised clips which overlap the flashing and screw down. Can't help thinking a few nails along the top edge would have prevented the movement.

ho hum

@Barney12 Sorry to read your news, I live on the south side of the park and the wind has been howling on and off for weeks, mainly NW but last night a blast from the SW.

My build is only covered in Breather membrane  and batten, waiting for all to settle to get the Tata roof on.....

Having read some of your posts can I enquire if you Ecologist was GB. Mine has and still is a major pain, would like to get rid of and start again as the licence to N England wont be sent until 72sqm  of bat cave has been built.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Its the top flashing which is aluminium.

I'm kicking myself as I replaced the lower flashing with lead. They supplied that god awful corrugated flash band type product which I have no faith in.

They do say in the manual that you can use lead (or lead substitute) instead of the aluminium system.

I've either got to find a way to bond the aluminium flashing down to prevent it lifting or just use lead.

The aluminium top system does have a c shaped section that slots onto the top row of panels but its only c20mm deep and my suspicion is that the clips that hold the flashing down (2 per strip) on the top edge have slowly moved with the wind force of this winters storms thus allowing the channel to pop off the top of the solar panels and lift.

The second annoyance is that my roofing mate that helped me put the panels in wanted to nail the top edge of the flashing to the battens but I wouldn't let him and said we should follow the manufacturers instructions and instead used the little galvanised clips which overlap the flashing and screw down. Can't help thinking a few nails along the top edge would have prevented the movement.

ho hum

Just to be clear in a very strong wind lead will also lift unless it’s fixed down so I would look at the MIs first. Small bead of sealant may also be a plan - CT-1..?

Barney so sorry to read of your problems. Cant offer any help other than keep fingers crossed for you.

Not been to site today weather is foul here so I stayed at home. No doubt I will have a river inside from the leaking internorm sliders.

2 hours ago, JamesP said:

@Barney12 Sorry to read your news, I live on the south side of the park and the wind has been howling on and off for weeks, mainly NW but last night a blast from the SW.

My build is only covered in Breather membrane  and batten, waiting for all to settle to get the Tata roof on.....

Having read some of your posts can I enquire if you Ecologist was GB. Mine has and still is a major pain, would like to get rid of and start again as the licence to N England wont be sent until 72sqm  of bat cave has been built.

Yep GB! You have my major sympathies :( So much I could write! 

It has indeed been an incredible winter for windy weather. Last night was bloody scary up here, the sheer force at which the gusts were hitting the side of the flat was incredible.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Just to be clear in a very strong wind lead will also lift unless it’s fixed down so I would look at the MIs first. Small bead of sealant may also be a plan - CT-1..?

Yes. CT-1 discussed today as an option.

Manufacturer likes to use that sticky flashband stuff as an alternative to ali flashing but I have no confidence in the stuff up here.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Yep GB! You have my major sympathies :( So much I could write! 

It has indeed been an incredible winter for windy weather. Last night was bloody scary up here, the sheer force at which the gusts were hitting the side of the flat was incredible.

Thanks for sharing, I thought it was just me......Absolute nightmare individual. Seems to dominate in the park. The only other alike person was the planning officer, JB.

Compared to what you have dealing with in the past the roof / PV  is probably a minor headache which is resolvable.