Storm Damage!!

Barney12

5 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Its the top flashing which is aluminium.

I'm kicking myself as I replaced the lower flashing with lead. They supplied that god awful corrugated flash band type product which I have no faith in.

They do say in the manual that you can use lead (or lead substitute) instead of the aluminium system.

I've either got to find a way to bond the aluminium flashing down to prevent it lifting or just use lead.

The aluminium top system does have a c shaped section that slots onto the top row of panels but its only c20mm deep and my suspicion is that the clips that hold the flashing down (2 per strip) on the top edge have slowly moved with the wind force of this winters storms thus allowing the channel to pop off the top of the solar panels and lift.

The second annoyance is that my roofing mate that helped me put the panels in wanted to nail the top edge of the flashing to the battens but I wouldn't let him and said we should follow the manufacturers instructions and instead used the little galvanised clips which overlap the flashing and screw down. Can't help thinking a few nails along the top edge would have prevented the movement.

ho hum

Wouldn't agonise over that. If you listened to him and put a few in, and the wind still ripped it off your insurance claim would be fruitless!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

Thanks for sharing, I thought it was just me......Absolute nightmare individual. Seems to dominate in the park. The only other alike person was the planning officer, JB.

Compared to what you have dealing with in the past the roof / PV  is probably a minor headache which is resolvable.

The entire thing is an absolute racket. The licensing system by NE and the ‘chosen few’ prefered by DNP basically mean they’ve got you by the bollocks. 

51 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Not easily no. Hoping I can get scaffold up this week. Waiting for a call. 

Can you not get a cherry picker..? I can hire for £115 a day and it’s a 12m height and 6m reach so quicker and simpler than scaffold. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Can you not get a cherry picker..? I can hire for £115 a day and it’s a 12m height and 6m reach so quicker and simpler than scaffold. 

Problem is what to do when you get up there. The basket is a very small target to aim for when your falling. :/

The GSE system is fully tested and certified as well as having an insurance backed guarantee.  If you installed to the manufacturers instructions - which it looks like you have - you could look to them for a remedy.  What you clearly need to avoid here is any risk of this recurring and I think it should be down to GSE to come up with a solution.

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The GSE system is fully tested and certified as well as having an insurance backed guarantee.  If you installed to the manufacturers instructions - which it looks like you have - you could look to them for a remedy.  What you clearly need to avoid here is any risk of this recurring and I think it should be down to GSE to come up with a solution.

Hi, yes I'm now in direct contact with GSE. As you would perhaps expect they seem to want to blame the installation and not following the install guidelines but they are being helpful.

I am 1000% confident that the install instructions were followed to the letter. How do I know this? Simple; because I'm 1000% anal about detail and I was there!

But, as you say what I'm more interested in is ensuring it doesn't happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

So its fixed.

Bit hard to describe what we did differently without reams of text but save to say we've secured the flashing down way more robustly than the manufacturers spec.

Still no news on the insurance claim but there was NO way I was waiting for their approval before getting it weather tight.

Fixed.jpg.51eb193d30a7a46bb2fe0e65e98490d4.jpg

Sorry @Barney12, I missed this earlier, it was when I was laid up with the flu, I think.  We also have the GSE system, and equally were not impressed with the flimsy aluminium flashing.  Suffice to say that ours has additional fixings, as the installer and I looked at the instructions, rang GSE for advice, were told it was OK as the weight of the tiles above would help secure it, told GSE that our "tiles" are lightweight plastic slates.  GSE called back and advised some additional fixings at the upper edge, under the slates...............