Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Febond Blue Grit.

Don’t.. just don’t ....

the grit will end up in the top coat on the trowel and it will swirl like a biatch...

PVA 5:1, big brush and wet it then skim on wet ...

• Like 1

Not impressed at my first attempt at getting the Febond Blue Grit on the wall. Used a roller as they suggest on the tub. The effect was very hit and miss in terms of grit coverage and it didn't seem to want to stick to the mrpb very well. Also a lot of the grit seemed to fall off the roller to the floor.

Scraped it off!

15 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hypothetically.......

DO NOT USE BLUE GRIT !

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not impressed at my first attempt at getting the Febond Blue Grit on the wall. 

This thread is so fun.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PeterW said:

Don’t.. just don’t ....

14 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

DO NOT USE BLUE GRIT !

It was suggested subtly that you don’t use it ...

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not impressed at my first attempt at getting the Febond Blue Grit on the wall.

So now you’ve probably realised why it was suggested not to use it ...

Tape the corners, PVA 5:1 on the ceiling, mix half a bag of multi and get it on while it’s still damp. 

Walk away and have a brew while it’s going off, then make a second set (1/4 bag) and then overlay this, leave it 20 mins then go back and flat it back. 

Leave it 20 mins then get a clean wet brush and start to work the final finish - don’t worry about it getting too wet as it will soak up but don’t over work it. 

Clean tools and open beer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It was suggested subtly that you don’t use it ...

So now you’ve probably realised why it was suggested not to use it ...

Tape the corners, PVA 5:1 on the ceiling, mix half a bag of multi and get it on while it’s still damp. 

Walk away and have a brew while it’s going off, then make a second set (1/4 bag) and then overlay this, leave it 20 mins then go back and flat it back. 

Leave it 20 mins then get a clean wet brush and start to work the final finish - don’t worry about it getting too wet as it will soak up but don’t over work it. 

Clean tools and open beer. 

Go to bed happy.

Wake up next morning and go and have a look.

Pick your heart up of the floor when you realise it should have been done by your bro in law.

Go and get tools and start scraping.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

You should be able to get the blue grit to stick fairly evenly, use a low pile, but not smooth roller. You need a roller tray, not just straight from the tub.

It might be that you have to go over a few times to get it spread evenly, but I just did 25sqm inc celings in an afternoon.

It appears Nick followed me:

"Ffs! Mate, Sorry about this but by the sounds of things you haven’t got a clue. Just pay a spread to come in and sort it, small job like that won’t cost a fortune! And from the look of your job you are fussy and particular so why balls it all up now?"

:)

• Haha 3

I tried it once on a small wall up stairs in my last house. Scratch coat was decent but the skim wasnt. Let's just say it wasn't long before it got boarded over and hid.

It's a real skill that takes years to perfect. Plasterers just make it look easy when it's really really not.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I tried it once on a small wall up stairs in my last house. Scratch coat was decent but the skim wasnt. Let's just say it wasn't long before it got boarded over and hid.

It's a real skill that takes years to perfect. Plasterers just make it look easy when it's really really not.

I've done a little bit in the past. A couple of 3' wide walls at the top and bottom of a landing in my first place and an 8' wide, full height wall with door and window in but that was 25 years ago. Only the odd bit of patching since.

Going to get a 4' Derby.

Edited by Onoff

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Why would he blue grit it?!? Its new plasterboard not 30 year old render !

I give up :S

Blue grit should not even be in the building :/ 

Yet both British Gypsum say to use ThistleBond on MR and on the back of the Blue Grit tub it says specifically for MR.

Worst case I cock it up and the BiL goes over it.

Can't be hard. Lay it on, flat it off, fill in any low bits. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Going to get a 4' Derby.

After youve spunked all your cash on the various potions, and devices with which to apply them, your have paid the spread. 

A 4' blade needs some serious skill, and I just about have the wrists for my 18" Ox for flattening off over old plaster etc. 

No xmas card for you this December !

Just now, Onoff said:

Can't be hard. Lay it on, flat it off, fill in any low bits. 

Dead man walking :S The last customer who said exactly that asked to borrow my step ladder to skim his bathroom ceiling. When I came in the following morning, the ceiling was destroyed, his clothes were rolled up in the corner covered in plaster and about 8 litres of sweat, and my lightweight aluminium step ladder had to go in the skip as it weighed about 60kg with all the plaster that was on it. Took about 4 hours to clean the floor and walls too. My mate came in that evening and skimmed it for £80. Was like a sheet of glass. 

Disclaimer :

After all this has been said, I really need you to cock it up or I'm going to put 2 stone on from all the humble pie and custard. 

• Haha 5

I think he should go outside and cut some nice hazel and hand split it then replace all this nasty board with some nice lath ....

Then lime plaster it, horsehair in the backing coat of course ......

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A coat of bonding ? On new plasterboard ? :S

Yep it grips better and will be rougher finish so the skim sticks to it.

If you put a handful in a skim mix it stops it going of as quick to give you more time to work your magic.

Edited by Declan52

14 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Yep it grips better and will be rougher finish so the skim sticks to it.

If you put a handful in a skim mix it stops it going of as quick to give you more time to work your magic.

Ah, you mean in with the PVA? Not laying an actual set of bonding?