Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

21 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

My plasterer told me never to put PVA on plasterboard.

I've read more that say do it than not. To do seemingly with the suction rates of pb, lowering the take up of water in the mix by the dry board and allowing longer working times. To an experienced plasterer I wonder if this is less of an issue as they get the stuff on quicker and spend less time messing with it afterwards so it can just do it's thing and set.

With moisture resistant pb though I'd veer towards pva being less necessary as theoretically it has lower suction rates to start off with given it's name. Guessing you get longer working time with it compared to normal board.

On site, board I imagine is used pretty quick but might have been stored in unheated conditions so it's moisture content is higher to start with. And its more dust free as said above.

I quite like this bloke:

https://plasteringforbeginners.co.uk

British Gypsum, the board makers say to use ThistleBond-it as a pre plastering application with this board:

PDS-Gyproc-Moisture-Resistant.pdf

Edit: Looking at the price of ThistleBond-it, it might be Febond Blue Grit gets used instead!

Edited by Onoff

16 hours ago, PeterW said:

I wouldn’t cover the concrete, just the bath as snots will scrape up from the floor but plastic will make it slippy. 

I might lay some to stop pva etc falling on the concrete and causing later adhesion issues with the floor tiles. Veering towards Febond Blue Grit now though!

I'm v.likely going to have a crack myself. Rest assured I'll post up if it cocks up! :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I might lay some to stop pva etc falling on the concrete and causing later adhesion issues with the floor tiles. Veering towards Febond Blue Grit now though!

I'm v.likely going to have a crack myself. Rest assured I'll post up if it cocks up! :)

I take it you’ve bought the new trowel too then ..?? 

If the big one isn’t a decent brand broken in Plasterer’s trowel then walk away... you will never get a good finish with a cheap trowel. 

Seriously - get someone to do it ..! Will take you twice as long and cost more if you need someone to get it fixed. 

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If the big one isn’t a decent brand broken in Plasterer’s trowel then walk away... you will never get a good finish with a cheap trowel. 

Seriously - get someone to do it ..! Will take you twice as long and cost more if you need someone to get it fixed. 

The big one's a st/st one from Wickes. I've used it before and the BiL used it previous when he did some for me.

4 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

That might be an issue. There’s a good chance I’ll need it back by then. 

What for the man cave nursery? Should at least have No.2 on the way by then! :)

Ceiling first or wall first?

Before that, tomorrow I'll do both with Febond Blue Grit. I'll make good the damaged area tonight with some tile adhesive.

Just got one bit of death trap raised floor to board. 

20180616_184532

Had to use some blocks at the front as I ran out of pipe off cuts.

Made a nice cover for the bath out of some 30mm t&g chip with osb sides and lined with Antinox. Means I can stand on without it flexing. A washing up bowl to protect the taps:

20180616_184553

2018-06-16_06-54-16

2018-06-16_06-55-25

On 11/06/2018 at 11:58, Nickfromwales said:

Let the plasterer dictate that. 

Just for clarification......

"Get a fackin plasterer or I'll send the boys round". 

Seriously . Don't make me come down there. 

I cannot work out what @Nickfromwales is trying to tell you . More emphasis please ?

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1