Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

OK, so I'm done with the plastering and onto the painting. What have I learnt?

1) It's not as easy as it looks! :)

2) It's knackering. I've got pretty good arm and upper body strength but this takes muscle memory too. Respect to real spreads!

3) Cream of tartar is your friend as a newbie. 1tsp per bag of multi or two in hot weather. It really gives you extra working time. On a controversial note you CAN bring back to life plaster that's going off by adding a sachet of the stuff and done more water.

4) Again controversial, you don't have to pay top dollar on tools. I used an 18" st/st one, a 14" steel one both from Wickes. Then a 6" Ragni one. Aluminium float was from Wickes. Both big trowels well used on all sorts before I cleaned them up with 80 grit paper and the finish was great. Where it wasn't was down to the technique not the tools.

5) That guy's videos I linked were invaluable 

6) However.....You think you've done a good job then you start looking! My issue was mainly having left some low bits. I think that's down to not having pressed hard enough in the later stages of flatting off. My edge technique needs work too but in this case 3 out of 4 walls will be tiled to the ceiling so I'll lose a bit there.

Would I do another ceiling / wall? Yep, in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

That's it, two coats of Diamond Matt later and it's done, finished. Get the lights, speakers, shower head and body dryer back in tonight, aka no need to revisit!

20180712_221755

Except... :)

Somewhere in applying the top Diamond Matt coats I left this mark, excess paint I didn't roller out:

20180712_222041

It's about 6" long and only visible if I stand on the steps and hold an LED spotlight against the ceiling. This will never happen and tbh it's invisible from standing in the room / lying in the bath. Unlikely the room will ever be used with the lights off btw as it's on the dingy North face overshadowed by neighbouring trees. Tbh it'll be best naturally lit in Winter.

Sand or leave well alone and get on with the tanking?

(There's always Artex as a fall back! :) )

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Except... :)

Somewhere in applying the top Diamond Matt coats I left this mark, excess paint I didn't roller out:

20180712_222041

It's about 6" long and only visible if I stand on the steps and hold an LED spotlight against the ceiling. This will never happen and tbh it's invisible from standing in the room / lying in the bath. Unlikely the room will ever be used with the lights off btw as it's on the dingy North face overshadowed by neighbouring trees. Tbh it'll be best naturally lit in Winter.

Sand or leave well alone and get on with the tanking?

(There's always Artex as a fall back! :) )

That's awful.

you're going to need to get your BiL round to skim it again.

Edited by daiking
  • Haha 2

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 06:59, Onoff said:

Just makes me realise how good mine is now by comparison, considering its a DIY job. Did you pay someone to do that?

Edit: If you were nearer you'd be welcome to this virtually full bag of EasiFill 20 I have. I couldn't live with that. Not in the bedroom is it, the missus will be constantly picking up on it! :)

Not worth filling. The whole lot needs to come down and be redone anyway.