Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

It would be good as a final coat, but I think the vinyl might not be ideal for the initial mist coat.

You can get something very cheap as a mist coat, you might need two coats, but you're aheadofscheduleon the projectand can affordtosit and watch paint dry

On 01/07/2018 at 19:43, PeterW said:

Before you fill any more holes go over it with a coat of white emulsion. You’ll see the worst ones better on a white surface and you can just fill and go with the next layer before you paint again. 

I use this stuff for small dinks and scratches as it’s white and hardly noticeable and dries really quick. 

So you reckon mist coat before any filler?  Using the Leyland Leytex Matt. The EasiFiller will go over the top of the paint OK?

Yes most coat with Leyland Super Leytex,  or any "contract matt" (non vinyl) then fill. You will see amy areas that need doing a lot easier once it has had a coat of emulsion.

Filling after mist coat is fine. The mist coat soaks into the plaster skim, you could say it is dying the plaster, so you there is no problem with adhesion of filler to skim, no need for pva, sbr... or xyz!

12 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Yes most coat with Leyland Super Leytex,  or any "contract matt" (non vinyl) then fill. You will see amy areas that need doing a lot easier once it has had a coat of emulsion.

Filling after mist coat is fine. The mist coat soaks into the plaster skim, you could say it is dying the plaster, so you there is no problem with adhesion of filler to skim, no need for pva, sbr... or xyz!

Cheers, done a 20% water / 80% paint mix. A litre to start off with and see how I go. Next question; brush, paint pad, fluffy or foam roller?

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Short pile roller 

You're a gent. I'll just finish dinner and I'll get on it! 

Going to take a while with these Lidl radiator rollers mind! 

• Haha 1

Once again I have to bow to the collective wisdom on here! 

Never done a mist coat before so a few eye openers. First, Leyland Trade Super Leytex High Opacity Matt Emulsion is GREAT! I applied it thinned with 20% water and used a short pile radiator roller. Boy does it dry quick! The plaster just sucks it in just as said here that it would. I found I needed to get it on real quick or thick streaks would dry that were hard to roller flat.

Generally though it looks magic imo, almost like a finish coat. 

The roller application has shown some low spots. What I'm thinking is to do a second mist coat as the paint has clear filler like qualities. I reckon if I did I'd lose a few more of these minor lows and just have the odd deeper low to fill. Any againsts if I do so?

Also should the second mist coat be thinned again? 

Lastly SWMBO (who's the painter in the house generally and favours Crown paint) informs me tonight she wants a satin finish on the ceiling as matt is too dull! Any suggestions, can't seem to find a Dulux Diamond Satin White.

Cheers

No help to you at all, but I personally can't stand non-matt finishes on ceilings. They drive me to distraction, as well as highlighting every little flaw (not that there'll be any on this ceiling, of course :ph34r:).

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Lastly SWMBO (who's the painter in the house generally and favours Crown paint) informs me tonight she wants a satin finish on the ceiling as matt is too dull! Any suggestions, can't seem to find a Dulux Diamond Satin White.

Cheers

What about “eggshell” instead of satin?

Edited by Ian

7 hours ago, newhome said:

Go for matt on the ceiling. Why do you want it shiny? 

I DON'T want it shiny!

Her first comment was she wanted to gloss the ceiling ffs. She reckons matt looks too dull....??? No shit!  I get the feeling that as it looks new for longer, the Dulux Diamond Matt recommended here wilI look really good. 

Maybe it's her pikey genes coming through and the attraction to shiny things?

Another gem on the horizon, she didn't want a lit mirror. Now realises you'll be in your own shadow at the sink! :) She tried turning it saying "I thought WE didn't want a lit mirror as they're expensive?". With the money spent so far it'll hardly break the bank!

"No dear, you wanted a plain flat mirror hence my buying the f***ing demister pad to go on the back!"

Selective memory the fairer sex! It's not like the cooking or the other ;) is going to get any better here after 26 years so I reckon Diamond and be damned!  Worst case she doesn't speak to me for a week. Best case two weeks / a month! 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Vinyl silk would give a sheen

This is what's going to happen...

A quick Avery label on the pc saying "SATIN" gets stuck over where it says MATT. Then a bit of silver tape where it says "SCRUBBABLE MATT FINISH"...

57857.thumb.jpg.0c5813646db4ce6dcf5bf76919b43073.jpg

;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

A quick Avery label on the pc saying "SATIN" gets stuck over where it says MATT. Then a bit of silver tape where it says "SCRUBBABLE MATT FINISH"...

Just pour it in a tin with the labelling of her dreams ;)

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

I DON'T want it shiny!

When we had the ceiling in our bedroom re-done following the leak, it was repainted in a different paint than what we originally chose. It's still allegedly matt, but it's clearly got more of a sheen to it than the original stuff that's in the rest of the house. At this time of year, the bright morning sun makes this slight sheen really obvious, and I can see the (very) minor imperfections in the plaster. 

Put your foot down - the ceiling will be matt, or you'll slash her inflatable jacuzzi B|

3 minutes ago, jack said:

Put your foot down - the ceiling will be matt, or you'll slash her inflatable jacuzzB|

Silence may not be the worse thing he has to worry about if he does that :)

Not done anything else since last night when I finished the 2nd mist coat but got in tonight (after a double shift) and took a couple of pics. Well pleased!

20180706_235946

20180706_235932

20180707_000251

Minor filling will have to wait until Sunday as working again today. At least I'll miss the football! :)

• Like 5

Minor filling? :)

I had my son hold his LED torch I just bought him sideways to the ceiling and filled every pinprick real or not with Easifill. You can really indulge if you have ott tendencies! One larger area I wasn't happy with at the mitred corner. Boy does this stuff dry quick! 

2018-07-09_07-20-16

V.impressed with the cheap filling knives from Screwfix.

13 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Either your plastering wasn't as good as we all thought or you've got OTT as usual

It's amazing what you find when you take your glasses off and stick your nose on the wall/ceiling! Tbh with the downlights off or on the little flaws are invisible and it'll never be lit from the side like I'm doing with the LED torch. 

I assume rub down when dry and another mist coat?

I need now to get some inkjet printable, foil labels to doctor the Dulux Diamond Matt paint tin to pretend it's satin.....

Edited by Onoff