Tree/shrub removal

Just a heads up to anybody planning on doing some site clearance, or tree/shrub removal 

make sure you have put the wheels in motion to get it done before bird nesting starts, usually March the 1st if you are going to be using any mechanical means of removal. 

Ive just had the lads in with a big flail to smash all the hedges back, even though we are still in discussions with the planners, the last thing you want is to get consent and not be able to proceed because of a bit of hedge in your way. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 1

Hmm - a very timely reminder.  I have some hedges that border between the residential curtilege and the bit of field that we also have and these will be removed, but I better get them cleared when I get demolition done, otherwise it will completely mess up our landscaping plans until next winter.

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

make sure you have put the wheels in motion to get it done before bird nesting starts, usually March the 1st if you are going to be using any mechanical means of removal. 

That's interesting Russ and could affect us (if we're lucky with our application). Where would I find that bit of legislation?

As a quick sort of reply, @Russdl you are not allowed to disturb a nesting bird or a bird building a nest, you should not cut back any hedges using mechanical means after March the 1st

however like everything in life you can get around things if you put things in place, if you carry out a survey to prove nothing is nesting it can be removed, however you will probably need some college plonker with a degree to carry out the survey. 

The simplest thing to do is get it all cut down before they start nesting.