Now the build is complete - maintenance requirements

Having moved into our dream in Oct 2016 I am now turning my mind to regular maintenance needs - what is essential / planned and what can be left to fix when it breaks? My initial thoughts...

ASHP comes with a 5 year warranty, and there is a list of checks in the manual e.g. electrical, pressure, valves etc. Would I benefit from an annual inspection? I cleaned out the in-line strainer after 1 year, it had a layer of very fine grey powder in it. Filled with Sentinel X100 soon after commissioning.

UVC tundish are visible and I can check for drips periodically - anything else?

UFH? Just been keeping an eye on water pressure, I spotted a pressure drop in Dec and found a small leak, fixed.

Water softener has a Clack valve, which can display error codes. inclined to run it until I get an error?

MVHR I have been checking / replacing air filters and washed out the heat exchanger last summer.

Solar PV and inverter. Apart from checking for mould on panels, anything else?

Structure - MBC timberframe and ICF basement?

Boiling tap, check tundish and change filter.

External finishes are designed to be as low maintenance as possible, so don't think anything is required here other than keeping an eye out for damage. Render on board, brick slips, Lindab steel guttering and downpipes, Al clad windows, clay roof tiles, Cembonit through-coloured soffits and fascias, untreated Canadian western red cedar, steel garage doors, block paving.

We also have some raised beds made from timber (i.e. modern railway sleepers). Inclined to leave them until they fall apart?

• Like 1

UVC - turn both the pressure ant temperature relief valves periodically to make sure they discharge and the water flows through the tundish and out f the discharge pipe without it blocking or spilling out of the tundish.
And to check they seal again whern you let go.

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

UVC - turn both the pressure ant temperature relief valves periodically to make sure they discharge and the water flows through the tundish and out f the discharge pipe without it blocking or spilling out of the tundish.
And to check they seal again whern you let go.

Also, and most importantly, there's taking pressure readings and checking the PRedV is operating as it should, and cleaning the stainless gauze filter. 

Then there's the drain down, isolation of the expansion vessel, and taking / checking the precharge pressure in the vessel. Failure to do this religiously is the number one cause of all terminal ( catastrophic) failures ive attended. Last one was a £1m house with the UVC upstairs. Downstairs got quite wet. 

49 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

UVC tundish are visible and I can check for drips periodically - anything else?

? Shouldn't your qualified G3 installer be doing all of this as part of your annual service and inspection? You won't get a warranty repair without it, and it may also affect your buildings insurance if it's ever leaked catastrophically. 

Also there's another PRV on the multi block, for 5-6bar cold mains relief in case the PRedV ever fails and allows full mains potential through. A bit more than checking for drips there I'm afraid. 

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

? Shouldn't your qualified G3 installer be doing all of this as part of your annual service and inspection? You won't get a warranty repair without it, and it may also affect your buildings insurance if it's ever leaked catastrophically. 

Thanks - this is exactly the type of info I was hoping for so I can package up a regular contract.

My G3 installer told me that there was no need for an annual service on the UVC.

Keep the experiences and feedback coming - specifically interested if ASHP need servicing.

Just now, ragg987 said:

Thanks - this is exactly the type of info I was hoping for so I can package up a regular contract.

My G3 installer told me that there was no need for an annual service on the UVC.

Keep the experiences and feedback coming - specifically interested if ASHP need servicing.

What uvc do you have ? Make / brand / material ?