Wireless broadband pricing

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

I know a few of us around here are relying on wireless broadband for their internet connections. I've just noticed a (downward) jump in the EE pricing that may be of interest.

An 18 month contract including router has dropped to

£35 - 50G

£45 - 100GB

£60 - 200GB

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details#

The best sim only deals still seem to be with Vodaphone

£25 - 50G

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Ouch, those seem expensive.  I had hoped t move off wired BB as soon as an alternative became available.

Our community council was looking at a wifi system and were talking of £25 per month, but that has stalled as nobody has tendered for the contract.  EE are building a new mast near us some time soon so I was hoping they would offer a decent deal.

Our "problem" is we are on BT unlimited and there seems to be absolutely no way to tell how much we actually use so don't know how much we would actually need to replace that.

Guest Alphonsox
33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ouch, those seem expensive.  I had hoped t move off wired BB as soon as an alternative became available.

Our "problem" is we are on BT unlimited and there seems to be absolutely no way to tell how much we actually use so don't know how much we would actually need to replace that.

BT standard broadband is now £43 per month including line rental so these prices are not so different.

We get through about 1G per day without thinking about it. Streaming video can be up to 1G per hour so it’s not viable on our current 50G package

As a reference, our community wi-fi charge £35 per month unlimited. 80Mbps down, 30Mbps up.

Only down-side of their implementation is they treat the whole network as a large corporate, and each subscriber is thus double-NAT'ed to the outside world. So best suited to access from home to outside, not suitable for use other way (e.g. my own web server).

2 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

BT standard broadband is now £43 per month including line rental so these prices are not so different.

We get through about 1G per day without thinking about it. Streaming video can be up to 1G per hour so it’s not viable on our current 50G package

I'm on a discounted deal until about May paying £26 per month to BT. I will be looking at other options if BT are going to hike it to £43 then.

53 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You can check what your PC is using easily enough.

Settings-->Network & Internet-->Data Usage

Internet Usage.jpg

Would have to find out the data used by 2 tablets, 2 pc's and 2 phones and add it all together.  Of course BT must have  measure of what we actually use but don't want us to know in case a metered rather than unlimited deal might suit us better.

JFGI, all the info is there, but will take some time.

You may find that your main router has something to show data usage, my old TalkTalk one did.

Try logging in with 192.168.0.1 and the supplied password

Edited by SteamyTea

I'm on Three paying £24/month for unlimited data.  

I think they say reasonable usage is acceptable so not true unlimited but last 3 months I've been near 200Gb download with no warnings or penalties.

I get an acceptable speed of 8Mbs/3Mbs though my neighbour also on Three gets much better at over 30Mbs. He has an out door antenna which I've now brought but not yet installed.

Get the odd 5 minute drop out but otherwise all great

Guest Alphonsox
7 minutes ago, readiescards said:

I'm on Three paying £24/month for unlimited data.  

Interesting - Do you have a link, I can't see anything like that on the Three site.

The issue with some of the three sims is that they don’t play nicely with generic WiFi dongles and you have to make a call to keep them active every month. We have this with our gate sim which needs to send a text or similar every 3 months or it expires even though it’s receiving texts frequently.   

On 21 January 2018 at 17:22, SteamyTea said:

JFGI, all the info is there, but will take some time.

You may find that your main router has something to show data usage, my old TalkTalk one did.

Try logging in with 192.168.0.1 and the supplied password

I have has a poke around in the routers menu's and find we have used 18GB in the last 5 days (presumably that's the last time the router crashed or was reset)  That scales to a scary 110GB per month. 

Unlimited it is then, any pay per amount mobile package would be astronomical.

12 hours ago, readiescards said:

Well that is how I read the details, making me think I better check the fine print again

Thanks. I'd love to know what you find out.

A data point (albeit a little out of date): When I was having ADSL problems a couple of years ago, I bought a month of Unlimited on a Three PAYG SIM. I tethered way more than 30GB without any problems.

• 8 months later...
Guest Alphonsox

A quick update for anyone still interested in this subject - EE have modified their 4GEE Home service to add a few more options :-

50G - £35

100G - £45

200G - £50

300G - £70

500G - £100

All 18 month contracts including a router.

Still an expensive option, but may be the only option I've got.