Wireless broadband pricing

Guest Alphonsox

Do you happen to know if they have any restrictions on what services you can access? E.g., do they say you shouldn't or do they prevent you from using VoIP? I think my current EE mobile SIM's conditions say you're not allowed to use VoIP.

I currently have a “wires-only” (no voice calls) copper pair to the exchange for fibre to the cabinet (FTTC, the cabinet's by the exchange) getting 24 Mb/s down which is reasonable. Rather than deal with BT at all I have a VoIP number as my landline.

Neighbours where I'm building only get 5 Mb/s down (ADSL rather than FTTC, I assume). That was what I was getting in my previous house in Tongue which was OK but made live video useless. Always downloaded YouTube and watched later. I don't know what I'd get at the house site, yet, of course but suspect it would be similar so would need to pay an extra £10/month for FTTC.

Mobile at the house site is pretty good so it would be an option rather than putting in any landline if VoIP was OK.

Guest Alphonsox

I'm currently using a vodafone mobile broadband (50G - £25) and VOIP works fine (Sipgate). These are intended as fixed installation broadband connections running over 4G. I believe you can do anything you can do with a fixed line.

Guest Alphonsox
5 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

@Alphonsox I know you spoke to beacon broadband before. Did you check with airfibre or bluebox

They're on my list to check-out before I commit to a long term solution.

Guest Alphonsox
On 08/10/2018 at 18:44, vfrdave said:

@Alphonsox I know you spoke to beacon broadband before. Did you check with airfibre or bluebox

On 08/10/2018 at 18:53, Alphonsox said:

They're on my list to check-out before I commit to a long term solution.

So just checked with them both and neither of them have coverage where we are. Looks like it's going to have to be EE

• 3 weeks later...

With Airfibre guys, good service if you can get a signal. We got a repeater site setup so 1 main signal split between 3 houses, works well.

A grant was also available for hardware, better broadband scheme I think it was, not sure if it’s ended yet or not