Plumbing layout plan

vfrdave

Anybody recommend where/how I could draw a decent plumbing schematic drawing?  I have a few queries I want advice on from the plumbing wizards on here but would prefer to furnish my post with a nice drawing/picture for clarity.

I just did mine on powerpoint.  Put the appropriate cut out of the plans as a background (you need to be able to scale) and went from there.

Some companies do have them but you then have to utilise all their parts which can be a pain of you are doing it non bog standard (as a lot on here are).

• Like 1

I do work with computers all day so can access both PowerPoint and Visio easily. I use Visio alot for network diagrams but when I looked I didn't think it was great for depicting valves/manifolds etc.

Visio and office products were available at a very competitive price on Amazon for along time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

That's your first mistake @Nickfromwales using a mac

i have a feeling you may be right :/ Just thought with an all ipad / all iphone house it would be easier to chop stuff between devices when on the go with the ipad and at home with the mac.

Should it really be this difficult?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Visio has a massive library of M&E /HVAC symbol libraries if you know where they are - they are installed but not visible usually. 

This is my ASHP done in Visio

Thats a neat solution, but the closest i can see with a quick search is Lucidchart.com. Any others with a similar library?

Decision time......

19 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Thats a neat solution, but the closest i can see with a quick search is Lucidchart.com. Any others with a similar library?

Decision time......

There is a possible online solution that would let you access from iPad/Mac/any device - Smartdraw.  It does cost though - $9.95/month.  There are a number of templates in there - look under "Engineering"

https://www.smartdraw.com/templates/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Visio has a massive library of M&E /HVAC symbol libraries if you know where they are - they are installed but not visible usually. 

This is my ASHP done in VisioHP_SchemHyd.JPG.fc7b8a35135ad899fba7b655be6485e2.JPG

The icons should be in a .dll or .exe file and you can extract them using an icon viewer or extracter.

Can't rember which I used when I used to do this to customise things

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

The icons should be in a .dll or .exe file and you can extract them using an icon viewer or extracter.

Visio uses a slightly different method - they aren’t stored as icons and the libraries are a custom data type as I’ve tried to export them and transfer to LibreCAD previously using a couple of different tools. 

I’ve got the stencil files somewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19/01/2018 at 14:45, Plumbersmateuk said:

Could I get a copy of that Visio file please?

MTIA

Vaughn,

@Nickfromwales, if you are iPad-proficient, consider Morpholio Trace and just import a set of plumbing symbols to you liking. With it you can just overly a PDF of the client's floorpan (or any pdf template) with lines and symbols as you like, and share easily. Its a superb app and getting a lot of buzz.

https://www.morpholioapps.com/trace/ 

• Thanks 1