Proper Downlights / Airtight

Onoff

Just now, Onoff said:

Regs are often a poor minimum imo.

Just to try and reinstate a continuous vcl.  I am absolutely sold on the whole vcl / draught proofing idea. Makes SO much difference. 

Ok, i get that. But why not just foam it in? Once you trim it back flush with the top of your insulation, maybe even stick some foil over it surely that as good as it gets?

5 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Ok, i get that. But why not just foam it in? Once you trim it back flush with the top of your insulation, maybe even stick some foil over it surely that as good as it gets?

I am going to "just foam it in" but additionally stick the Thermahood down so no foam can get under the Thermahood into the light cavity. The vcl should then be a continuation of green plastic/intumescent seal/Thermahood/intumescent seal/green plastic.

I don't trust my cutting of the PIR between the joists to be that "airtight". 

Just got some Adaptaflex and M20 glands so must figure bringing that up to the conduit boxes. Making the conduit airtight around the cables  (in the conduit) once in I'll do with Wiska gel. Saying that I think the Adaptaflex is air leaky!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Onoff said:

@Carrerahill, cheers for that but I've got all bases covered. I paid  £12 ea for these:

https://www.ledbulbs.co.uk/enlite-e8-8w-fixed-dimmable-fire-rated-led-downlight-cool-white

So IP65, fire rated & with a seal. 

But...the seal on these (or any other downlights) is no way as good as the vcl I've punctured to fit them. I'm trying to create a cavity whereby the vcl is reinstated as best as I can. The vcl will be the Thermahood.

You can get airtight on commercial grade down-lights, most of the tin bashed stuff from China isn't up to much but plenty good for domestic use. You are looking at £120-250 for a commercial down-light that will have all the attributes you need. I have some WILA down-lights which come with all the thermal ratings and are guaranteed air tight - but at £170 a pop they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Aurora are OK for domestic use - Chinese made and the chips are over-run.

13 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

You can get airtight on commercial grade down-lights, most of the tin bashed stuff from China isn't up to much but plenty good for domestic use. You are looking at £120-250 for a commercial down-light that will have all the attributes you need. I have some WILA down-lights which come with all the thermal ratings and are guaranteed air tight - but at £170 a pop they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Aurora are OK for domestic use - Chinese made and the chips are over-run.

All it says for these is:

BS EN 13141-1:2004 (Air leakage)

• 3 months later...
On 27/01/2018 at 18:47, Nickfromwales said:

I use the recessed ones these days. They're only the thickness of the plasterboard + matchbox sized tranny, and the dispersion compared to spotlights is 10-fold better. 

Hi Nick - just dragging this back to the surface. I'm  just insulating a vaulted area and want to minimise cutting into PIR (or at all if possible). Looking to see whether it's possible to just batten underneath the PIR, then fit the PB and simply recess into that using LEDs that have minimal height. Which 'recessed' ones have you used in the past. Something like this?

https://cdn2.ledhut.co.uk/media/productattachment/1/2110/DLSLIM12WNEW.pdf

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’ve got something similar on site - will take a couple of photos for you. Bear in mind that 28w led will be very bright ..!!! 

Thanks Peter, that'll be great. Hoping I can get away without faffing about on this one (VCL, cutting insulation etc). 28w - instructions from wife were "I want this area (hallway) really bright". Just following instructions. For once. Until I get the next set of instructions "These are too bright - why did you fit these???? I want something less harsh"

On 08/06/2018 at 08:30, oranjeboom said:

Thanks Peter, that'll be great. Hoping I can get away without faffing about on this one (VCL, cutting insulation etc). 28w - instructions from wife were "I want this area (hallway) really bright". Just following instructions. For once. Until I get the next set of instructions "These are too bright - why did you fit these???? I want something less harsh"

It's a 12W fitting - 28W is the CFL equivalent. 

1 hour ago, oranjeboom said:

Hi Peter....nudge nudge...☺️ 

I'm using these as in a similar position stuck for height.  Have received one I ordered to test and going to order more now that I'm happy with them. CE certified

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-5W-7W-9W-Waterproof-LED-Downlight-Dimmable-Warm-White-Cold-White-Recessed-LED-Lamp/32758714806.html

Lots of options on aliexpress or ebay if you're looking for something quicker.

21 minutes ago, Dudda said:

I'm using these as in a similar position stuck for height.  Have received one I ordered to test and going to order more now that I'm happy with them. CE certified

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-5W-7W-9W-Waterproof-LED-Downlight-Dimmable-Warm-White-Cold-White-Recessed-LED-Lamp/32758714806.html

Lots of options on aliexpress or ebay if you're looking for something quicker.

Thanks Dudda! I'll only have 37mm (ish) void space for the spotlights (12mm pb, 25mm batten space) so these look like an option. How hot does the one you have tested get?

3 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Thanks Dudda! I'll only have 37mm (ish) void space for the spotlights (12mm pb, 25mm batten space) so these look like an option. How hot does the one you have tested get?

Not hot at all. TBH the 'test' mostly involved getting approval from the other half in terms of how bright it was and that she was happy with the warm white colour. The thing I like is they're waterproof so can be used in the bathrooms too.

2 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Not hot at all. TBH the 'test' mostly involved getting approval from the other half in terms of how bright it was and that she was happy with the warm white colour. The thing I like is they're waterproof so can be used in the bathrooms too.

Yeah, the only reason I asked about the temp is because I dropped my worklight this morning which dislodged the LED bulb and I noticed it was surprisingly hot. 

I now get the wife to write and date her decisions as 6months down the line she will either say we never discussed it or that she wanted option A, not B!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

I now get the wife to write and date her decisions as 6months down the line she will either say we never discussed it or that she wanted option A, not B!

One way or the other, you'll still lose. 'Tis the way of things.

@PeterW Thanks for the pics - that helps. I'll have to see how I can fix the LED unit into the plasterboard then as it appears it's  a couple of screws 'sideways' that the bracket will slot into. Probably a couple of battens stuck to the underside of the PIR.

Does each LED need a driver? And I guess they can be placed some distance from the LEDs? I was hoping to put them in an easy to get to location for future replacement rather then stuck between PIR and plasterboard.

Transformer was not even warm after 20 mins - these are 6w LED panels so pulling 0.03A at 230v. 

I wouldn't even bother screwing into anything - makes it easier to remove ..! 

Transformer to light is about 180mm, transformer then has 80mm tails to a supplied push fit connector. 

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

I wouldn't even bother screwing into anything - makes it easier to remove ..! 

13 hours ago, Stones said:

The ones I used were supplied with spring clips to hold the unit in position.

Was referring to the LEDs - I thought those brackets were for screws. But now I get it:

Image result for slim LED ceiling light

So perfectly easy to fit if they come with clips. I was thinking it would be a right PIA to fit the buggers.

@PeterW Did you get these from fleabay/online? If they are WA* on your side then I will be halfway correct already.

*Wife Approved✔️

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2018 at 18:47, Nickfromwales said:

I use the recessed ones these days. They're only the thickness of the plasterboard + matchbox sized tranny, and the dispersion compared to spotlights is 10-fold better. 

Never come across these before... thank you!

36 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Was referring to the LEDs - I thought those brackets were for screws. But now I get it:

Image result for slim LED ceiling light

So perfectly easy to fit if they come with clips. I was thinking it would be a right PIA to fit the buggers.

@PeterW Did you get these from fleabay/online? If they are WA* on your side then I will be halfway correct already.

*Wife Approved✔️

Came from CPC along with the rest of the lights. 

Will see if I can find the product code as like most things if you order them in bulk they are cheap as chips !

On 13/06/2018 at 09:41, PeterW said:

Came from CPC along with the rest of the lights. 

Will see if I can find the product code as like most things if you order them in bulk they are cheap as chips !

Hi Peter - did you manage to locate the code? Were they these ones?

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/402703471/enlite-en-pl06b-30-slim-fit-white-edge-lit-low-profile-commercial-led-downlight-with-warm-white-leds---remote-driver-ip44-6w-300-lumens-240v-dia----120mm---recess-depth--40mm---cut-out----107mm

TS also now do these so will grab one today and inspect before I order them from CPC (as more ££): https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p56573

14 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

If from CPC then guessing one of these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=v-tac 6w led panel downlight round

3 on that link are 110mm cut out so it'll likely be one of those Peter got. (The other's 75mm).

Enlite stuff is great imo. That's what my normal size ones are at the start of the thread. Maintenance free terminals too. 

Edited by Onoff