Masking tape

Pocster

Possibly not helpful but when antifouling our boat we need to use a masking tape that can get wet but remain intact enough to peel off cleanly after several days exposure (in a boatyard, no covers etc). The default answer for that is 3M scotch-blue which is meant to be OK for something like a fortnight, might be worth a look?

Edited by bissoejosh

Depends what you’re trying to stop getting onto the soffit...? If it’s render, the best way is use nothing and get the render team to keep it clean and wiped off as it makes them clean as they go... otherwise you can end up with tape stuck behind the render and the only way off is a knife ..!

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Depends what you’re trying to stop getting onto the soffit...? If it’s render, the best way is use nothing and get the render team to keep it clean and wiped off as it makes them clean as they go... otherwise you can end up with tape stuck behind the render and the only way off is a knife ..!

Yeah it’s render !

problem is render white , soffit , gutter etc black ....... trouble for sure ! 

34 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hey all

whats the best masking tape for external use ?

i want it to stick but not damage cladding , soffit when removed 

so sticky but not too sticky !!!

cheers 

Jaffa tape

Bright orange about a fiver for 50 mtrs it will stick to most thing that are dry and dust free

Ive left it on windows frame and stone for over a week Doesn’t leave any residue 

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

But the soffit is plastic or coated aluminium ..? Render will wipe off. 

Don't create a problem for yourself,  get the trades to do it properly ..!

Yeah I was more worried about render on the render board cladding - not sure if it will stain etc .

26 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I was more worried about render on the render board cladding - not sure if it will stain etc .

The renderes should mask up for you

if it’s a scraped render the tape will protect your frames and sofits 

You need a good quality polythene Tape with an acrylic or synthetic rubber adhesive. 

This is the one I’ve used in the past and it’s excellent for frame protection etc.

https://www.siteprodirect.co.uk/product/low-tack-pvc-tape/175/proguard-polythene-tape/2319

Persoanlly I wouldn’t rely on the renders to mask up if you are particular. 

I also would not rely on ensuring a good job with cleaning and wiping as you go. The above tape will also protect against nicks with a trowel etc. 

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

If it’s render I would worry about scratching when it’s being wiped off if it’s not protected.

I use a couple of thousand bags of K rend Webber etc each year and I mask any surface the render will come in contact with All included in the quote 

It clean off pvc But it’s so much neater and quicker to run a line of tape 15 short of the surface to be rendered

On 1/18/2018 at 20:01, Trw144 said:

What’s the best way to clean it - I have one window cill that has a bit of render on it. It’s not too noticeable but just annoys be a little - I ve tried hot soapy water but nothing more aggressive yet.

Multisolve from CT1 will clean off cement splashes according to the side of the can.

• Like 1