How to protect oak against plasterers!

joe90

Hooray, our stairs have arrived and they are all oak, I have bought a roll of cheap carpet to cover all the treads till such time as Work boots etc have left the premesis. My question is we are yet to have the stairwell plastered ( sand and cement render coat is already done) so how best to protect the oak against staining from the plaster being applied up to it. 

The only sure fire way is to fully mask it off with a good quality masking tape and plastic protection.

Any areas which are prone to get knocked by a trowel or hawk would be best protected with something like corex too.

A lot depends on how careful your plasterers are. If they are an unknown then protect it to death! :)

Caution: slippery when wet!

Not quite the same, but we have some of the internal oak doors fitted before plastering (as we've had to move in) so I've fitted them but left the polythene covers on. I'd probably look at wrapping it all and using masking tape where its against the wall. Its definitely worth paying more for masking tape and getting brand name as there is a big difference I have found. A bit of a faff but I'd think well worth the effort if you've ever tried to get plaster splash out of woodgrain (I have it was a complete pain).  

Edited by curlewhouse

Just now, joe90 said:

Thanks, my plasterers are great and no problems so far it’s just that I don’t want to stain the oak ( as it cost so much ?)

Just now, joe90 said:

Thanks, my plasterers are great and no problems so far it’s just that I don’t want to stain the oak ( as it cost so much ?)

Just now, joe90 said:

I would skim the stairwell out prior to fitting the stairs If possible 

I’m sure the plasters would prefer to do this

its not just the staining It’s very easy to accidently drop a plank or scaffolding board

Nod, the builders prefer to skim after fitting the stairs that is why the undercoat has already been done. This is the way they always do it and get the best results ( and they have been brilliant up to now).

We use 14 day blue dolphin tape ,sticks well but doesn’t give off any glue.  I’d still give the stairs as many coats of whatever finish you’re going to use though.

Although it’s a risk ,it is better to skim it with the stairs in place ,just in case a little bit of dubbing out is needed 9_9

we have pre treated the oak door linings and window cills before fully masking them with tape and plastic.

The first frame that was just taped and the moisture was sucked in the edges where the plaster touched staining the frame.

Since treating them they have stayed clean.

If you are unlucky enough to get a plaster stain on oak, it can sometimes be removed by being scraped away with a brand new Stanley knife blade held at a right angle to the surface ( be very careful!)

strangely the plaster stain doesn’t seem to penetrate that deeply