Making your own biscuits ?

ToughButterCup

53 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not worth it IMO as they are so cheap to buy.

Only time I’ve made something rather than used biscuits is when I joined two long sections of work surface and used a thin strip of ply down the whole length. 

One of my favourite tools the biscuit jointer. My chippy mate gave me his spare which is OK but his main Elu is superb.

I too used ply when I made my gate from old scaffold boards. This is more making T&G than biscuiting tbh. (I didn't want people peeking through the gaps when the boards shrunk. I only glued them one side).

Mind this was done on the table saw with a mate helping. A router with biscuit cutter is the other option if only a few to do and on a budget.

SAM_8412

SAM_8417

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

From what I have read biscuits that you buy are made from compressed wood chips and fit the slot but soak up the glue and expand to make it a very tight fit.

Yes and no. 

If you use PVA with the "proper" biscuits, then yes, they do indeed swell up and make the joint tight.  If you use a PU adhesive, then they don't seem to swell up at all, and retain a slightly sloppy fit, but then the foaming action of the PU adhesive takes care of that.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

[...]    If you use PVA with the "proper" biscuits, then yes, they do indeed swell up and make the joint tight [...]

Thats really interesting. Presumably there's an idea PVA - water mix (or maybe no added water at all ? )

Anyway thanks for the advice.