Inspection stages

Vijay

The last inspection I had was for the drainage. I emailed BC and asked at what stage do they next want to inspect, thinking it would be the floor beams or something pretty soon, but they said "

Please call us when the roof is on and we will do a roof and progress inspection. If there are steels going in we will need to see them before they are covered."   Is that normal as I thought they'd be more involved?

Exactly what I was told recently, "drains then back when the roof is on". Surprised me, but I think they make a judgement call on how they view the risk, self builders generally are going to do the best they can.

Edited by bissoejosh

Since the privatisation of  Building Control in England & Wales about 15 years ago there’s no longer the same emphasis on inspections at set points in the build process. It’s now very much at the discretion of the individual BCO.

The inspection schedule traditionally used to be:

- inspect foundations before concrete

- drainage testing

- shell structure and any fire barriers

- end of first fix 

- PC

Edited by Ian

I believe that some Building Warranty providers stipulate inspection set points and administrative procedures, as part of their Policy Requirements. So, it is best to check these requirements, though in such cases it is likely that the BCO services and the Building Warranty are part of an overall package procured by the builder .

Our private BCO defined three inspection points:

• When the MBC warm-slab formwork was complete before the concrete pour
  • When the stone skin was up to 1st floor level to inspect the TF, foulwater plumbing, stonework and cavities.
  • Completion.

We've swapped emails and pics on a few design points and provided the list of docs that he wanted.  Just as built SAP docs and completion inspection to go.