Give me a hand, please. How do you deal with yours?

I'm not talking about the low-grade stuff; I'm talking about full-on whizzing, whirring brain cells that flit around like butterflies on speed, as well as  fed by Sid's nocturnal feline Plainchant. And then there's the  two chatty owls. Add to that a flapping plastic TAF (temporary amphibian fence), and both our dog's propensity to echo every last speeding ambulance or police car. They  seem to think of themselves as apprentice wolves.

3.30 today, I'll be abed, snoring.

• Like 1

A short playlist of songs/ music on a low volume after a large rioja.

Avoid Question Time before bedtime...can make one irritable.

Last night I had some nice tunes from Everything but the Girl, off to sleep before the second track😉

13 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Turn off all electronic devices at 9pm

good glass of this, and snoring by 10.30. 

9294982C-1AB6-4873-A14E-2D38DDE2D7CC.jpeg

Wowsers, so you weigh your measures...pound and a half, no wonder you nod off so well😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel for you Ian. I had some periods during the build where I had trouble getting to sleep, then was awake at 4 in the morning worrying. I've never had any problem sleeping in the past - if anything, a small amount of stress normally puts me to sleep!

I know I'm reasonably sensitive to caffeine, but I was surprised to find that when I was stressed, even one strong coffee in the morning made my insomnia and anxiety worse. If you drink caffeinated drinks, consider giving them up entirely (do it over a few days to reduce the withdrawal symptoms). I found this made more difference than anything else. If you drink coffee, Decadent Decaf does good decaf.

Another thing I found helpful was mindfulness and meditation. You don't need to go full-yogi, but just the basics of concentrating on breathing and allowing that to calm your mind does actually work with some practice.

Related to this was learning not to allow my mind to focus on anything if I did wake up during the night. If I went to the toilet, I'd leave all the lights on, keep my eyes closed (I know where everything is :ph34r:) and not allow my conscious mind to focus on anything. You can try using a mantra ("sleep... sleep") if that helps you avoid thinking about problems. I found this hugely helpful, because it's a lot harder to stop thinking about something that's already woke you up than it is not to start thinking about it in the first place.

Booze didn't help me at all. If anything, a drink or two made me more likely to wake up early, but YMMV.

Aside from that, the usual "good sleeping" rules apply: 

• As Russell says, all electronic devices off by 9pm (including TV, ipads and phones).
  • Low lighting only, from around the same time if not earlier. In your case, try not to do anything build-related in the late evenings.
  • Try and develop a bedtime routine, ideally ending with you in bed with a decent book.
  • Avoid going to bed late on the basis that you think you'll sleep better if you're tired - to an extent, being overtired is as bad as going to bed too early.
  • Try to develop a strict time for getting out of bed, and stick to it even on weekends.

Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Give me a hand, please. How do you deal with yours?

Did you notice the time on my server upgrade post (sorry to everyone else but only the FMG members can see this).

My problem is probably more age related. I will often crash during the day for a couple of hours or at night at 9ish and Jan gives up and goes to bed on her own. I then wake up at 1ish, bing! -- and don't get tired again until 4 or so.  The irregular sleep patterns become set.

I had hoped that this would improve when we moved into the new house, but no evidence so far.

I'm with @jack on this.

I now avoid caffeine and if I'm going to have a glass of wine I'll have it early in the evening, not after about 07:30.    Simple meditation preparation techniques, like the pre-meditation clearing of the mind, controlling your breathing and inducing muscle relaxation from the tips of your fingers and toes to the centre of your body works well for me.  It's something I only remembered a few years ago, that I first learned at uni during transcendental meditation sessions with a local yogi (remember this was the late 60's/early 70's, when many of us were all hippies at heart............).

Edited by JSHarris

I am seriously considering taking up yoga, my sleep pattern is erratic, my mind full of problems ( though slightly less now the build is nearing completion)  and my body full of aches and pains ( getting older😱).

Agree with most of above.  A couple of extra things I have found helpful.  A fan in the bedroom - white noise basically, doesn't drown out other sounds altogether but makes them much less noticeable.  Battery operated pir in bathroom so have ight but not too much if need loo and, rather than music, an audio book at bedtime, Dickens is good but anything that is saga(ish) rather than suspenseful works.  Can easily be restarted if you wake up during the night.  I am not very good at clearing my mind but giving it something else to concentrate on seems to work.  

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I am seriously considering taking up yoga, my sleep pattern is erratic, my mind full of problems ( though slightly less now the build is nearing completion)  and my body full of aches and pains ( getting older😱).

Joe, can I tell you it could be the best thing you ever do!!!  I took it up 3 years ago for helping with lower back issues, not only did it help that but it helped with 18 years of insomnia and it's helped me cope with my self build and my 83 year old Mum having major heart surgery last year - gave me a new outlook on life and what we have control over ;)

2 hours ago, Hecateh said:

Agree with most of above.  A couple of extra things I have found helpful.  A fan in the bedroom - white noise basically, doesn't drown out other sounds altogether but makes them much less noticeable.  Battery operated pir in bathroom so have ight but not too much if need loo and, rather than music, an audio book at bedtime, Dickens is good but anything that is saga(ish) rather than suspenseful works.  Can easily be restarted if you wake up during the night.  I am not very good at clearing my mind but giving it something else to concentrate on seems to work.  

Have you tried reading about Rollo? :D

I quite like Audiobooks or MP3s - plenty around.

Here is a 7 hour set of nine PG Wodehouse golf short-stories called "The Oldest Member". There's one in there somewhere called "The Awakening of Rollo Podmarsh". (Abracadabra - the printed version.)

They were fantastic on Radio 4 when reduced to 15 minutes each, but these are unabridged.

More seriously, I quite like recorded daytime TV in the background in the evening - things like Drew or some of the architecturals or the classic car stuff.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

I wish I had a fan in the bedroom...

• Like 1

The real side bar here  is that doing a self build is bloody stressful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TerryE said:

The real side bar here  is that doing a self build is bloody stressful.

Well I seem to be the odd one out here. Apart from frustration fighting numpty planners for two years ( note frustrated not stressed) my build has gone very well. Since day one I always said “ if it all gets too much I am off to the beach to walk my dog”. Shame he died a few months ago but did well at lasting 17 years. Luckily I have not had to rely on bankers ( rhymes with w#####s) and having been a builder myself realise that not everything goes to plan. It’s all about perspective.

To be honest our build has gone as well as we could have wanted, and we've been very lucky: no major cockups and we got our design decisions right.   Jan and I have made a good working team and have shared the work. Our kids covered our financial shortfall until we sold our old house and in retrospect the timing of this was pretty much perfect, but that didn't help with having to work 7 days a week on the house or with the sleepless nights.

How Ian has coped -- my heart goes out to him.

I have found the whole thing massively stressful.  We 'built' our  last house 30 years ago - employed a builder and he got on with it with input from us on bits and pieces. It was bit stressful at the time but a walk in the park compared to this one.

This will be the last I am too old to go through all this again!

Having said that we are now getting to the light at the end of the tunnel and I am finding myself smiling here and there instead of screaming.  I had the best nights sleep in over a year last night too!

• Like 1

I can’t sleep sometimes due to excitement!! . I kid you not !

what blocks to lay today , what I’m doing tomorrow, what needs ordering etc etc can keep me awake . The destination is certainly the journey !!! 

Thankfully I've rarely has problems sleeping. Most of my planning of the low-level of the next days work happens in the 45mins after lights out. Something I find helpful is always having my notebook/diary nearby to write down things, like what I need to get from Screwfix before heading to site, who to call, things or order etc. Having it physically written down helps me a lot, I can relax knowing I'll remember it in the morning. 

Talking of stress, just sat down and read this letter in today's Greenock Telegraph. Makes you pause. 

DSC_3781.JPG

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

I can’t sleep sometimes due to excitement!! . I kid you not !

[...]

That's exactly what I fizzzzzzz about...... Mostly because I haven't got a Scooobie about what to do next

Sleep is the only time I can FORGET what a state the place is! :) Drink doesn't work any more it just makes me maudlin.

1 minute ago, recoveringacademic said:

That's exactly what I fizzzzzzz about...... Mostly because I haven't got a Scooobie about what to do next

Lol !

all the fun of the fair !! 

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sleep is the only time I can FORGET what a state the place is![...]

But your bathroom is a social service. Makes is all feel much better

I get serious insomnia - The solution is World Service radio. Tonight highlights include (These are not made up)  :-

• Bakeries in Ukraine
  • Vegans in Zimbabwe
  • Some footballer explaining what it feels like to loose.
  • A summary of offensive comments from Trump

I can usually last around an hour at most........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

I get serious insomnia - The solution is World Service radio.  [...]

While on extended exercise in the 70s, some Big Wig came to visit us from the MoD. Told us we were going to be  visited by a series of 'Bods' to look at our sleep patterns while on extended exercise (6 weeks).

BOAR (British Army of the Rhine) was, then, a standard posting. And I happened to be on radio watch in some God-forsaken German farm yard close to the East-West border when this muppet arrived in my basha. 

"Well, Trooper" he told me "As long as you get 5 hours' sleep a few nights most weeks, you'll be fine". I'd been in the same Trumpian  Shithole for 13 days non-stop. It was warm: manure heaps are warm in winter.

"But Christ how can you stand the smell?" he remarked. Wasn't in the least interested in the answer.

Listening to, and translating  East German Army (Grenzschutz) radio transmissions did it for me. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

While on extended exercise in the 70s, some Big Wig came to visit us from the MoD. Told us we were going to be  visited by a series of 'Bods' to look at our sleep patterns while on extended exercise (6 weeks).

BOAR (British Army of the Rhine) was, then, a standard posting. And I happened to be on radio watch in some God-forsaken German farm yard close to the East-West border when this muppet arrived in my basha. 

"Well, Trooper" he told me "As long as you get 5 hours' sleep a few nights most weeks, you'll be fine". I'd been in the same Trumpian  Shithole for 13 days non-stop. It was warm: manure heaps are warm in winter.

"But Christ how can you stand the smell?" he remarked. Wasn't in the least interested in the answer.

Listening to, and translating  East German Army (Grenzschutz) radio transmissions did it for me. 

I remember being paired up with some inner city Muppet down on ranges in Hampshire one night. Had to dig a trench and one sleep / one on stag. Idiot woke me up to report a UFO. It was a F**KING OWL! Same weekend I smashed my front teeth on a Gimpy. Never had trouble sleeping but growing up with no street lights it has to be pitch black. Only time I can't sleep as in not a wink is during a full Moon.