The never ending story

Alasdair

2 hours ago, Alasdair said:

Hi, building our dream home in Lancashire and it's a slog...to say the least. Found this forum and thought it might be a good source of gen and inspiration.....heres hoping.

Hi I’m in Preston

Welcome to the forum

Hi, I'm at Junction 33.  Roughly where are you?  If you're passing J33, drop in. We are two minutes away. (PM me)

So, you've found the Slog-It Club. Most of us here are in the same boat..... Head down, tails up get on with it, no matter how we feel about it. For this build, today  is one of the better days.

Our Polish builder has arrived in site, and injected a healthy dose of energy for which I'm very grateful.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alasdair said:

Hi, building our dream home in Lancashire and it's a slog...to say the least.

Hi Alasdair, welcome to the forum. You're right about it being a slog, but don't let it get you down. We're just finishing ours and it's taken nearly eight years, that's the result of doing most of it yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely not Grand Designs Tennets....it would just be one long bleep!!

Stones it was originally a farm house refurbish and extension but the old house had been neglected for well over 50 years and ended up being demolished so a clean sheet of paper.

Timber frame construction with glum as the main ingredient and then lots of glass. 

We got a builder in early days for the slab and foundations and they just made an absolute pigs ear of various aspects all of which we ended up putting right. Timber frame went up in less than two weeks and roof took another three from there. Glass has been an ongoing saga and still isn't right but we've got the manufacturers involcved now so hopefully there is some light at the end of that tunnel. We have done the M&E ourselves and are almost done on 1st fix electrics and plumbing. Trying to work out how to clad in our windoews when they are eventually finished and then we will move on from there! In the meantime we have built and finished a block of 9 stables, tack room and two barns plus a 40mtr 20mtr riding school...so we have had a few distractions!!