Laying mosaic floor tiles

jamiehamy

Okay, I've been putting this off for too long and need to get stuck into it next week to get the first bathroom complete. 

I've done the walls and fairly happy with the result (The inset to be finished shortly). However, the hex mosaics are troubling me slightly. They are to go on the raised area outlined in red. 

They are stone.

What is the best way to cut them? I have one of these https://www.rubi.com/en/dv-200-1000-electric-cutter-r104 but a trial finds that they are too small really and prone to cracking at the edge. Should I use my angle grinder with diamond wheel in a shallow bath? Will be slow going as I need to trim at least one edge of 'tiles'. 

How should they be laid to get them as flat as possible? I have mosaic mats - however they are bigger than the 'tile' - and the edges are like the blockbusters board, so should I trim them all slightly small before applying to the back of the tiles and then try lay like normal tiles ensuring they interlock with the right gaps? How do I ensure they a re properly flat and not like the rocky road to Dublin?

What order? I'm assuming best to start at the front (nearest the camera) and take my straight edge from that. It's all fairly square I think but any run off would be hidden mostly behind the bath. 

Trowel - Any special trowel for these ones? Should I aim for a thinner bed for mosaics? I think it's an 8mm notched trowel I'm using at the moment. 

Adhesive - I'm using BAL Rapid FLex Fibre plus rather than pre-mixed - Topps advised this is best for a large floor area of mosaics. 

Anything else worth considering or bearing in mind? Hints, tips, pics or encouragment welcome!

Thanks, Jamie

Thanks, Jamie

@Nickfromwales - tagging you as per other thread somewhere else!

MasterBath_Tiles.jpg

MasterBath__hex.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve the dust free Robi cutter 

great for cutting slabs 

We normally use a small angle grinder With a diamond blade 4 inch 

if you get the continuous blade Not the ones with the cuts in You’ll find you can do quite intricate cuts

If the pieces your cutting are very small it’s worth wearing an anti cut glove one hand 

• Like 1

i wouldn't use a shallow bath for cutting the tiles unless it was a petrol cutter - just do it dry and make sure the wind is going the right way.

put some tape over where you are going to cut to help stop cracking

never done hexagonal tiles so don't have any special advice for them!

• Thanks 1

@Nickfromwales, water jetting tiles...

Seem to remember you occasionally have tiles cut like this. I have had metal cut like this for work and home and seen them cutting "stone" though not paid much attention tbh!

How do you supply the tiles to be cut to the water jetter? Maybe marked with a Sharpie that a magic eye cuts to?

And do they clamp the tiles to hold them still?

@jamiehamy just thinking this outfit might be handy for you sometime:

http://www.jetcutit.com

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, tiling done. Only two bathrooms to go, but that's us ready for when we move in (planning March). 

Hex tiles I cut with a diamond grinder. I taped the line I wanted, scored lightly with the grinder right along before then grinding slowly each hex. I used mosaic mats which helped keep them flat nicely. I've got some Ct1 to put round the shower tray and paint two walls, then do a final fit/tighten on everything. This has been quite simply the toughest job of the whole build by far. Looks easy but got to think in 4 dimensions  almost, cutting,mixing,laying,grouting ,sealing... We're pretty pleased with it tho. 

DSC_3878.JPG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

That really is very smart.

The Matt black electric radiator is a welcome change from shiny chrome. Can I ask the source?

Is that a light fitting to its right? Or have you got the worlds smartest festoon site lighting? :) 

Thanks! I'll check with Craig, he ordered the rad. We have one for our ensuite in Matt White which is really nice. Yeah, light on right - there are bigger bulbs for it to go on later, again, other half ordered it. You can see a pattern here! He orders the nice stuff, I fit it! 

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

The Matt black electric radiator is a welcome change from shiny chrome.

Agreed, looks uber smart. 

This is the last one ( that took my arm ? ). Matt black flush plate, trap and tap to go with pic frames, mirror etc. 

IMG_6798.thumb.JPG.0a43bd5e2b65190d2fad9857620779b6.JPG

Not bad considering I tiled that with one arm ?. 750x750mm too. 

I think we'll see a lot more of the black this year. ?

• Like 1

Towel rails are Milano Brook,reasonably priced. 

The lights are Muuto. You an see them better now with the big bulbs. They are on a separate circuit from the downlights  and cast a gentle light when in the bath. 

DSC_3894.JPG

Edited by jamiehamy
Typo