Changes to building warrant

Thedreamer

This might be a bit of a daft question, but once you have submitted your building warrant, what constitutes a change to your application?

Would stating double glazing timber window, but then installing triple glaze alum clad windows be considered or are changes items that affect the building structure?

I doubt building control would ever notice. As long as what you fit is as good, if not better than what is on your design SAP.  Different windows would not normally affect the structure.

At the time of my building warrant we did not know what windows we would be using. I ended up using rationel, which were in our case the cheapest of the quality windows, and the second best. Only Internorm offered slightly better Uw values but at twice the price of Rationel.

I think it depends on the degree of the change. If you are just changing from 2g to 3G but the same style, opening mechanism etc, they might not be too bothered. Worst case, it would be an amendment to Warrant later on down the line. The key thing to demonstrate is that they comply with the regs - which if your 2g did in the submission, then 3G will. 

Overall, it's really down to a discussion with your BCO - most small changes (like internal layout if non structural, kitchen, bathroom layout, stairs etc) will be covered by an amendment to warrant towards the end - but if there are significant changes around the structure of the building or construction method, wall/roof build up etc, they may ask for a fresh BW application to be submitted. 

There is no hard and fast rules - our BCO is very reasonable with this stuff - others less so.