Planning permission refused - options

oldkettle

Planning is a pile of shit .

Half ‘plans’ , half politics .

We experience about 5 refused ; lost 3 appeals . But I never gave up .

I’m not familiar with your exact application but you might want to try the ‘wratchet’ Approach . Just get ‘bits’ passed as you go - then hit them with it . Admittedly this takes time ( years ) and costs a bit .

Trust your own judgement....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Oh yeah . If you meet planners again * always * discreetly record the conversation. Good way to make knives ....

In our neck of the woods you can't even meet one unless you are a developer. Well, officially you can't anyway and I wouldn't go any other way. 

There is a recording of the guy saying during the debates that the roof above the entrance door is "the porch" hence the ground floor extension. I wish there was a way for me to use this. 

I also got a confirmation that local politics is less logical than the big one. Or rather the standard stereotypes don't quite work. Who would have thought that it would be the Labour councillor from a different ward who would speak most confidently in favour of approving the largest house on the street. And I certainly didn't expect my own Conservative councillors to vote against. What happened with "live and let live"? Well, they won't get our votes now. 

@oldkettle when the planners initially refused our application, making incorrect statements about the plans, I complained to the Council CEO and when that didn't have the desired effect I complained to the Ombudsman. That didn't work either, and wound them up a treat, but made me feel better. Probably the reason the Head of Planning got so annoyed when the Planning Committee overruled him :D.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got a quote from a planning consultant. £3K, comparable to what we paid to the architect for the whole long process. It looks like we will have to do it ourselves. They mentioned that even when an appeal is rejected the specific reason for the rejection is stated, rather than "mass or bulk" mumbo jumbo, making it potentially easier to address in a new application. 

4 hours ago, oldkettle said:

They mentioned that even when an appeal is rejected the specific reason for the rejection is stated, rather than "mass or bulk" mumbo jumbo, making it potentially easier to address in a new application. 

That's what we found when we went to appeal. It was still rejected but the reasons given allowed us to resubmit an application taking all the inspectors comments into account. I think that was what helped us a lot when we went to committee and won.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, finally an update.

We won the appeal. The inspector pretty much confirmed what we were saying all along about "overdevelopment" and visibility ("intent observer" wouldn't be able to compare the houses in the row due to vegetation) and the neighbour's houses not being the limit the plot can take. Happy days. Big thanks to everybody for the support and advice during  this process.

On the back of a recent post by @Big Jimbo and following a quick conversation with Mr Luxton at one of the shows I am seriously considering putting in another application that utilises space behind the existing attached garage to form a gym (ground floor only). I do want to bully the bastards who pretty much stole a year of our time - if I can. More questions to follow :-)

Edited by oldkettle
typo
  • Like 14

10 hours ago, oldkettle said:

Well, finally an update.

We won the appeal. The inspector pretty much confirmed what we were saying all along about "overdevelopment" and visibility ("intent observer" wouldn't be able to compare the houses in the row due to vegetation) and the neighbour's houses not being the limit the plot can take. Happy days. Big thanks to everybody for the support and advice during  this process.

On the back of a recent post by @Big Jimbo and following a quick conversation with Mr Luxton at one of the shows I am seriously considering putting in another application that utilises space behind the existing attached garage to form a gym (ground floor only). I do want to bully the bastards who pretty much stole a year of your time - if I can. More questions to follow :-)

Congratulations, make the bastards pay!!

They have also cost us a year of our lives so far, and we are mid appeal now... Tick flippin' tock!!

download.png.baeba3b5dc335fcd8107d4f5a7568352.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CADjockey said:

Congratulations, make the bastards pay!!

They have also cost us a year of our lives so far, and we are mid appeal now... Tick flippin' tock!

Thank you, @CADjockey, and good luck with your appeal!

Although unfortunately the bastards won't pay anything, it's just another application fee for us if we decide to try for more ?

1 hour ago, oldkettle said:

Although unfortunately the bastards won't pay anything,

Yes I looked into this, we had four applications (2 free goes) and over2 years of grief and waiting. You can only claim compensation if the council are proved to have not followed protocol (although our appeal officer said the planners were not following their own policies!!!).

• 3 years later...