Hello from Cumbria

Tiny

Hi Folks

I am currently trying to plan a renovation and extension on our home. Managed to get the plans approved late Dec. So hoping to start work in May.

I am hoping to improve the insulation and airtightness of the whole building as this is for the next 20 years hopefully. House was built in 1982 and is built into a slope. It has beam and block floors with no insulation, and a void underneath of between 600 and 1400mm straight to earth, no oversight. Walls are dense block with slumped cavity insulation, roof is slate covered with 25mm of polystyrene as insulation. The living room is double height up to the underside of the pitched roof. It is draughty, mainly through the floors. We have a gas condensing boiler so was planning on keeping this.

So I have many challenges, as hoping to do as much of the work as possible. Current layout gives us about 1.5 floors, as the bedroom is in the apex of the roof as is not really full height. So I am raising the roof level to create normal ceiling height, which will give an extra bedroom. Downstairs will be one open plan room for living, dining and kitchen, with a separate utility room and bathroom.

my first challenge is deciding the best method of insulating and making the beam and block floor airtight, anybody done this successfully from underneath.

looking forward to getting stuck in, but really conscious of the value in good planning before starting

thanks

Tiny

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, yes, thought long and hard over demolition, what with the vat saving and a clean sheet to work from. Just could not bring myself to knock down what is a workable house. Probably regret that decision. But hey ho will win through in the end I hope

I've half a plan to empty one downstairs bedroom which then temporarily becomes the lounge. When the lounge is done do the bedroom and so on.

Unfortunately the missus has kept every toy the kids have ever had (19 & 11 now). Clearing the bedroom come playroom which they don't even go in is a challenge I'm not up for! 

20180110_201705.thumb.jpg.c315f1de244bd1966b04a2dfc14ea643.jpg

Hoarders? :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

I've half a plan to empty one downstairs bedroom which then temporarily becomes the lounge. When the lounge is done do the bedroom and so on.

Unfortunately the missus has kept every toy the kids have ever had (19 & 11 now). Clearing the bedroom come playroom which they don't even go in is a challenge I'm not up for! 

20180110_201705.thumb.jpg.c315f1de244bd1966b04a2dfc14ea643.jpg

Hoarders? :ph34r:

Looks like our spare room in our old house.  I'm trying to clear it out as the house is going on the market but can't get enough access to get in there to get some of the stuff out.  I don't have space for a skip, plus my number plate is still banned from the local recycling place, and I can't hire a van as the recycling place doesn't allow vans in now, either.

Right now, the only way to shift stuff is to fill my car and drive to the next county to their recycling centre, around 20 miles each way.  And they wonder why fly tipping is on the increase................

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Looks like our spare room in our old house.  I'm trying to clear it out as the house is going on the market but can't get enough access to get in there to get some of the stuff out.  I don't have space for a skip, plus my number plate is still banned from the local recycling place, and I can't hire a van as the recycling place doesn't allow vans in now, either.

Could  you hire or borrow a large estate car? We have one and it's definitely not classed as a van by our local tip.

7 minutes ago, jack said:

Could  you hire or borrow a large estate car? We have one and it's definitely not classed as a van by our local tip.

I think it may come down to that, if I can get it to work, as it's taking forever to clear out with me driving 20 miles each way to the tip.  The Prius is pretty much as big inside as an estate, I can easily get 3m long stuff in there and it's big enough to take washing-machine sized loads in the back, with lots of room to spare.  The other problem is that if I turn up three times at the local recycling centre in a hire car, there's a very good chance they will ban that too.  That's how I came to be banned, I made three trips in fairly quick succession (over about three or four days) and was immediately classed as "commercial user".

5 minutes ago, RichS said:

Or put a skip at the new house and transport junk across.

Sadly that's not much of a saving, as the recycling centre I can use is just the other side of where the new house is, so I may as well drive the few miles extra and dump it there.  A standard skip would cost £260 plus VAT, too!

Edited by JSHarris

3 minutes ago, jack said:

One of the reasons I hang onto my old Focus estate. It's done more trips to the tip than I care to remember! Seats down, tarp laid in there etc. I even get relatives messaging me, "Next time you go to the tip...". :)

I've a tumbledown stable block >30m2 that would be ideal for storage other than it's that decrepit. Asbestos roof caving in, cracks in the wall you could get your hand in. But it's on the plans so until such time as I come into some money it's staying. Wife had half a plan to put a lot of stuff (kids toys etc) she wants to keep into large plastic storage crates, stack in the stable and put a tarp over the top. The stable is so wet inside through the roof and through/under the walls. Then there's the double garage roof but that's truss rafters. I've mulled turning that into workable albeit low headheight storage space.

Have even considered a big, garden room. Build it properly, fully insulated etc. Storage for now then a man cave later! :)

@JSHarris

Just borrow a couple of number plates and double side then to your existing number plates.

You know the original registration for your car, use that one.

I got told off for walking into the local tip, after I had actually walked in.  They refused to allow me to put one small bag of rubbish in the skip, tossers.

17 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

@JSHarris

Just borrow a couple of number plates and double side then to your existing number plates.

You know the original registration for your car, use that one.

I got told off for walking into the local tip, after I had actually walked in.  They refused to allow me to put one small bag of rubbish in the skip, tossers.

Not a bad idea, as not only do I know the original registration, but I still have the new plates with it on in the garage!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JSHarris said:

That's how I came to be banned, I made three trips in fairly quick succession (over about three or four days) and was immediately classed as "commercial user".

We're lucky that there are three tips within a few miles of our place so we use them all to get around that problem.