new mains connection to old brick cottage

herby

Hi all, finally decided to get electric connected to our house, been using a lister generator.

Power company is charging a stupid amount to run electric to the house, but not doing the meter & box, or installation into the house.

I'll get an electrician to do the work but any advice before would be appreciated, the main questions I've got are ;

What are the regulations about a trench for the cable from the road to the meter box ?

What meter/ box is best, surface mount or fit into wall, any recommended ?

Can we run the cable thru the ceiling void and then bring down to the wall to the consumer box or do we need ugly trunking running across the ceiling ?

Thanks for any advice

All the details are on the Western Power Website (Your DNO) this link has the relevant bits:

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/docs/connections/Moving-Supply-Guide.aspx

You can have an internal Meter, see page 2.

Trench details are on page 5.

How you get the cable from your underground trench to the meter will depend on your circumstances, without a layout I cannot comment.

2 hours ago, herby said:

Thanks for the info, the only thing not answered is about running the cable thru the ceiling void or if trunking is needed across the ceiling ?

Meter tails don’t need to be exposed however if it’s more than 3m from the meter to the consumer unit you need a fused switch at the meter end and an isolator at the CU.  My meter is 27m from the CU..!