Brickwork damp patch after prolonged heavy rain

3 days now after a few days of prolonged heavy rain and I've still got a damp patch on my SW facing gable/chimney.  The 4 chimney pots are blanks filled with various stuff (as supplied by builder) over a lead tray but I fear the pots are collecting water.

Before I suggest this to the builder are there likely to be any other reasons?

Thanks 

IMG_20180106_115424.jpg

I have a similar problem with my west facing wall, permenantly soggy ( well it has been such a wet winter/ summer). My builder ( who’s been brilliant) has suggested a water proofing agent on that wall ( when/if it dries out in the summer) he has done this many times in our location next to the Atlantic ?.

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Waterproofer will hold the moisture / damp in. That's the opposite to a cure ! ?

I concur - it's the quick and easy solution that causes more problems than it solves. They do that on sandstone tenements up here to stop moisture penetrating, but it always gets in and if it's been waterproofed, never gets back out causing more untold misery. The other sin is to re-point the walls using cement (rather than a lime mix) - which does the same - moisture in never gets out. 

Def worth finding out if it's the pots holding water (very likely) - when we got ours fixed they guy put a 'Chinaman's bunnet' on it to let most of the water run off before it even got to the pot - but might not be the look you want!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I concur - it's the quick and easy solution that causes more problems than it solves. They do that on sandstone tenements up here to stop moisture penetrating, but it always gets in and if it's been waterproofed, never gets back out causing more untold misery. The other sin is to re-point the walls using cement (rather than a lime mix) - which does the same - moisture in never gets out. 

Def worth finding out if it's the pots holding water (very likely) - when we got ours fixed they guy put a 'Chinaman's bunnet' on it to let most of the water run off before it even got to the pot - but might not be the look you want!

They could be cut down so they just project 5mm or so and spray paint them to match the pots. Deflecting the majority of the water away will solve most, if not all of the problem, as long as it's 100% deffo not getting into the chimney under the pots. 

@readiescards, what is under the pots? Does it have a slab or other as a closure plate?

Has the lead not been bent up to form a lip around 3 sides so you make any water fall out onto the roof and into the downspouts. Looks like all yours is running down the gable wall.

The base for the pots should have been totally smoothed over with a concrete/motar mix and the pots filled the same so there could be nowhere for any rain to pool and work it's way down. 

Could the pots have moved slightly from wind or maybe not been seated properly and you have a gap between the pots and the motar/concrete and rain is getting in here. 

The longer the bricks are left wet then the more salt will come out and no matter how much you clean them it takes years to weather out. Will be a case of scaffolding back up and have a look at what's there and redoing.

Has the other chimney the same issue???

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I have a similar problem with my west facing wall, permenantly soggy ( well it has been such a wet winter/ summer). My builder ( who’s been brilliant) has suggested a water proofing agent on that wall ( when/if it dries out in the summer) he has done this many times in our location next to the Atlantic ?.

I would wait until it dries out and apply a clear coating of silane / siloxane.  If you leave it wet, it may get damaged by freeze / thaw.

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

My builder ( who’s been brilliant) has suggested a water proofing agent on that wall ( when/if it dries out in the summer) he has done this many times in our location next to the Atlantic ?.

I have used a water repellent on an old porous brick wall many years ago. IIRC it was silicon based and worked a treat. You could see the rain beading on it for years after. Being a repellent it allows the brickwork to breath and it stays dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ta, I'm just yet to understand whether it is water seeping through the brick work or whether it is water escaping through the seep holes and draining the outside face. So am nervous of applying anything until I know.  (Could do with a drone that can fly in really bad weather to see if the crown pot is filling up)

3 hours ago, readiescards said:

Ta, I'm just yet to understand whether it is water seeping through the brick work or whether it is water escaping through the seep holes and draining the outside face. So am nervous of applying anything until I know.  (Could do with a drone that can fly in really bad weather to see if the crown pot is filling up)

Get me 8 bottles of super strength larger and an industrial catapult ;)

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...

Well after rebuilding both stacks, with new lime mortar and applying a water sealant in early 2020 - it now looks mighty ugly (on both stacks) and I still have concerns of internal damp - hoping to get an expert out and will see how it fairs this winter

hcW8KP2Q.jpeg

20201008_125434.jpg

• 2 months later...

Both stacks only extend into the house attic space i.e. they do not run all the way down to the ground floor. 

The right hand stack (when viewing the house from this aspect), has a twin wall log burner tube liner passing through into it.

Not sure whether you would call them fake/false stacks?

20201215_123424.jpg

Yes I would call them 'standard' clay pots.  They have been capped with a fibre glass lid and sealed as per this image.  Since the image was taken the shorter king pot  has been de-crowned and also likewise capped and sealed (during this process the existing lids and seals were confirmed to be in good order).

Question can the clay pots act as 'moisture gatherer' -  as I'm likewise wondering if the uninsulated void below the lead tray acts as moisture gatherer - i.e. the damp in the air is able to penetrate the bricks and/or clay pots and build up to significant levels within the void.  (There are damp trays in both stacks below the lead tray designed to dump any water that gets inside the stack through weap holes onto the outer edge).

20170421_122741.jpg

1 minute ago, readiescards said:

Yes I would call them 'standard' clay pots.  They have been capped with a fibre glass lid and sealed as per this image.  Since the image was taken the shorter king pot  has been de-crowned and also likewise capped and sealed (during this process the existing lids and seals were confirmed to be in good order).

Question can the clay pots act as 'moisture gatherer' -  as I'm likewise wondering if the uninsulated void below the lead tray acts as moisture gatherer - i.e. the damp in the air is able to penetrate the bricks and/or clay pots and build up to significant levels within the void.  (There are damp trays in both stacks below the lead tray designed to dump any water that gets inside the stack through weap holes onto the outer edge).

20170421_122741.jpg

Clay pots are porous. They will soak up rain and moisture and let it out - is there a void below the pots then ..??

got any photos of them being built or the cross section designs as to how they integrate into the walls..? Who designed them ..?

There is a cavity tray (thanks for correct term) higher up the wall but nothing directly over the utility roof line.

The dummy pots sit on  concrete tiles built into the top lip and then surrounded by a concrete bed. Below that tile is a void and below the lead tray is another void.

Best picture I can find:

Any moisture that the pots get internally should be held by the tile I think the builder said, though how the brick course above the lead tray is so damp I've no idea:

20190718_080420.jpg

20201115_130525.jpg