Hello from Devon

albert

I was pleased to find this site after ebuild as there is much useful info on here.

My wife and I run a small company designing and building out one off spec builds in the local area. I started as carpenter and worked all over the world in heavy structural carpentry, my wife started in commercial design and moved over to residential design when we met, not a qualified architect  she designs our new build and conversions as well as high end kitchens, furniture, fits out etc. She also does 3D renders for private clients with some clever software that cost more that my motorbike!!  We are both pretty creative and love what we do ..except dealing with solicitors. We do everything in house often even acquisition but always, design , planning, build, marketing and selling, about 1 house a year. We are just about to start building our own house in our free time/running alongside another development nearby.  This house is very modern Class Q  and is total departure from what we do day to day for the open market. A resource like Buildhub is very useful for us to help research new products and system we have not used before. You never stop learning!

My area of expertise is timber engineering /cut roofing /complex structural and TF so hope I may be of use at some point. We are TRADA members so have access to a LOT of info in this field.

(We are heavily involved in the Timber frame sector and are launching a  related startup business this year (tourism).)

I can assure you I  am better at building houses than I am at spelling but will try my best. I look forward to learning what I can fro the site.

Edited by albert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, albert said:

This house is very modern Class Q  and is total departure from what we do day to day for the open market.

Welcome Albert. Has your Prior Notification been submitted & approved? It's the same route I went for my "modern" cow-shed conversion.

There was a real lack of knowledge with both Consultants and Planning Officers on how to apply the rules, 3 years ago when I went through it and I'm not sure it's much better now.  

Edited by IanR

Forgot to add I am building the Q as a self build which has some more relevance to this site. I've done one self build before many years ago. The only difference for us is tha VAT set up and actually paying for it ourselves!!!