If you own a house and buy a second one (for whatever reason) you will pay the increased stamp duty.

If you then move into the second house and sell the first you can reclaim the higher rate stamp duty provided you sell the first house within THREE years.

But note the 3 month time limit to make the reclaim..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property

If you sell your main home after you purchase your new home you’ll need to pay the higher rate. You can claim a refund of the higher rates if your old home is sold within 3 years of buying your new home.

You can claim a refund by changing the original return or completing a SDLT repayment request form. This must be claimed within 3 months of the sale or 1 year of the filing date of the return, whichever comes later.

Edited by Temp

On 08/01/2018 at 16:22, Temp said:

If you own a house and buy a second one (for whatever reason) you will pay the increased stamp duty.

If you then move into the second house and sell the first you can reclaim the higher rate stamp duty provided you sell the first house within THREE years.

But note the 3 month time limit to make the reclaim..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property

What happens if you sell your home before buying your new home ? ( I.e a btl that isn’t going to be rented ) 

very confusing on the Hmrc website - which does suggest not entitled to a stamp duty refund .

I'm struggling to understand the sequence of events you are worried about but..

20 hours ago, pocster said:

What happens if you sell your home before buying your new home

Then you never own two houses at the same time so stamp duty on the new house is at the normal rate.

It doesn't matter that you originally purchased the new house intending it to be a buy to let.

On 10/01/2018 at 12:39, Temp said:

I'm struggling to understand the sequence of events you are worried about but..

Then you never own two houses at the same time so stamp duty on the new house is at the normal rate.

It doesn't matter that you originally purchased the new house intending it to be a buy to let.

Ok

ao I’d have to claim back the stamp duty after the purchase .