TerryE

Ideas for improvements in 2018

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I personally want people on here to recommend products, no point in re-inventing the wheel, if they have experience or have done their research it’s good enough for me.

Surely that depends on whether the recommended products will suit your particular application or budget. As I've said before, I went for PAUL MVHR for very specific reasons, but not everyone would have those same needs or be prepared to pay the premium price for such a unit.

That is why knowing the basic science behind something (and a little statistics) is a good starting point.

Taking MVHR, all you need to know is the flow rates, the units thermal efficiency at those rates, the temperature range you are operating in and the noise levels.  All the rest is just suitability for your installation.

@joe90 Product recommendation can come about in more detailed conversation about your actual installation.

@ragg987 I will be up at the end of March or early April.

On my original post I made the comment about the READMEs being Wikipedia style and those who are active WP editors will know that there is a whole bunch of rules about what you can and can do in creating WP content.  These include rule like "Neutral  Point of View" and " No Original Research".  In other words, the summary article shouldn't not hard sell any product or approach but more just list off key topics that explore the issue and hand and also any blog entries and list any important links to regulations, reference material, etc.

BTW, if anyone quotes WP:EL at this last point, then I will put a hex on them :)

30 minutes ago, TerryE said:

BTW, if anyone quotes WP:EL at this last point, then I will put a hex on them :)

Working Papers in Educational Linguistics?????????     

No I know it doesn't mean that but

Is it Wikipedia  'external links' or edit locks'  from a (very quick) google I can't be sure as both are mentioned lol

6 hours ago, TerryE said:

hex on them

FF76AD will do for me :D

I had no idea what any of your post meant.

"Let's make an easy job difficult" ©SteamyTea

@HecatehWP:EL is a Wikipedia policy for content on articles.  About 5 years ago they started to have a blitz on "link bait" content. Whilst you can have as many links to other WP article as you like, the editors come down on you like a ton of bricks of you start putting external links in line. So for example instead of lots of articles linking to the UK Building Regs, you should have an article on the UK Building Regs, and this is allowed to have an external link to the official download site, but everything else should link internally to this.

A pain in the arse, but luckily we are a forum and not trying to be an encyclopedia. 😁

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ragg987 said:

And don't forget us Ethnic Minorities...

:) (couldn't find an appropriately coloured emote!)

If I had a clue how we might attract members from a wider ethnic range, I'd be on it.

Das Problem und auch die Loesung dazu sind ziemlich verschtekt. Wir könnten mehr tun, als nur zuschauen. Aber leider haben wir wenig Zeit dazu

14 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

How  can anyone, reading  perfectly written English, guess  the  author's ethnicity? On the other hand, posts in German or Mandarin .....

And, frankly, does it matter in any meaningful way, as far as any communication on this forum goes?

Aren't we all seeking or giving the same advice or information, no matter what our skin colour, ethnicity, race, religion, political views, sexual orientation, gender, or any other differentiating factor someone wants to make up in order to make the human race seem more divided? 

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

And, frankly, does it matter in any meaningful way, as far as any communication on this forum goes?

Agree.

Mine was just a tongue-in-cheek type of poke at the comment about attracting women (my words!) - not to be read literally, I love that this forum is about sharing. Period.

OK, sa chás sin úsáidfidh mé mo theanga dara chomh maith

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

From now on I shall use my second language, BSL.

You will even understand some of the signs I am sure :D

So how is that an improvement for 2018?

NEW TOPIC REQUEST:

Not sure if I should be tagging on another idea on this thread seeing it's all about 2018 improvements, but I can start a new thread otherwise, so just let me know admins.

My suggestion is for a new topic/area, perhaps under 'market place' for "Best prices". I may have missed it, so please direct me. I'm continually having to spend 2-3hrs a day sourcing best prices for a multitude of products. e.g. insulation prices vary so much depending on the BS stories that suppliers will tell you about shortages. Take 100mm PIR as an example with prices varying from £39 up to £58/sheet! Even though I have spent 1000s with one of the local BMs they will still try it on, so I now try and find the cheapest online price and get them to beat it which they usually will saving me hundreds in many cases.

Again looking at Thistle multifinish plaster - prices vary from £5.86 up to £10/bag! very few bulk discounts it seems. Just got a Jewsons price in for £5.94 so I probably won't bother asking them to match it as that's a pretty good price unless someone on here tells me otherwise.

So, instead of me just sourcing the best price and pushing my local BM to beat it, I would be quite happy to list the best prices i have found on BH so that others can make use of them also. Obviously there will be local price variations, but then most of the online companies will deliver mainland UK.And there are of course regional BMs (Bradfords) vs national ones (TP, Jeswons) I may as well share my info with others who are seeking better prices without having to spend hours on the 'putah! Even if you can't get a local BM to match or beat an online or national BM price, it'll be good to know how much more your local BM is charging you.

2 hours ago, ragg987 said:

So how is that an improvement for 2018?

People will have an excuse to ignore what I say! :D

And I can say some wicked jokes

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1