SWA in wet duct - ok to do?

readiescards

I have a 50mm duct running 20m from my garage to my drive gates where eventually I will have a RPi camera, some LEDs and maybe a auto gate opener.

The duct is cira 4-500mm down with marker tape.  But it got ripped by a digger so we had to bodge a joint I can't therefore guarantee the water tightness of the duct any longer. 

Is it viable to run swa through this duct?

There should be at least 300mm, preferably 400mm,  of separation between the SWA and the data cable duct in the trench - they must not run in the same duct. The SWA does not need to run in a duct - it's just easier to do so a lot of the time, as it makes replacement easier.

It's OK to run a low voltage DC power cable down the duct alongside the data cable, if that's any help.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

You can get duct  couplers you know?

You usually get one with a roll of duct. Plus your duct supplier will have them as extras. You could repair the join by screwing the coupler on with some CT1 etc smeared round the duct. A bitch if the duct is already in the ground possibly! :) 

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

Perhaps you could pull a smaller duct or water pipe through the existing duct?

Needs to be screened, insulated etc, hence the suggestion that Konex was probably the only reasonably choice, other than doing away with the data cable and running data over power.

• Like 1

Only the sub layers are down so far so ripping it up and starting again might be best option but I was trying to avoid that.  Unfortunately I did not see how the repair was made, but I do know the duct has water in it now - plus the pull cord is broken anyway.  I was rather hoping to just push swa down it!

8 hours ago, readiescards said:

Only the sub layers are down so far so ripping it up and starting again might be best option but I was trying to avoid that.

This would seem to be your best option in the long term.  Thinking in decades rather than years, get it right now and avoid issues in the not so distant future.  You can also run the separate data duct.

• Like 1

This works for me:

Duct tape a vacuum cleaner hose one end of the duct.

Cut a 4" round out of a decent carrier bag.

Thread light string through centre of plastic and tape so it doesn't come loose.

Insert plastic into duct. 

Switch on vac other end. Get a helper to pay out the string. 

Hope it doesn't catch on the dodgy repair joint! :) Wait till plastic gets sucked into vac and fish out. 

Use string to haul thru heftier draw string. 

Aka nothing lost to try.

• Like 1