Floor bounce - PosiJoist Floor Vibration checks

readiescards

On 09/02/2021 at 11:37, Dave Jones said:

egger is brilliant stuff. the amount of abuse it will take is unreal.

Odd my builder and the posi-joist manufacturer both are blaming the abuse the egger boards took from 6 months of bad weather as being the source of the floor movement/bounce.  While Egger themselves remain adamant their product would be fine.  (It did swell a tiny bit on a couple of exposed edges but that was about all)

I agree with lots that have posted that the minimum spec and poor installation practices will generally result in poor outcomes.  Majority of trades  need supervision or will take the path of least resistance.

personally I over engineer critical parts of the build that would give me grief, but then I’ve worked in the game for 30 years so have seen the failings before.

On 13/02/2021 at 09:22, TonyT said:

Egger instructions are about 60 days without protection from memory, so would agree this would void the manufacturers warranty as the install instructions haven’t been followed.

While it certainly gives Egger a get out, they seem unfazed and suggested their product will still be fine.

Have to agree as three of the rooms where not exposed to extreme weather and yet still are suffering floor bounce/flex.

On 13/02/2021 at 08:51, readiescards said:

Odd my builder and the posi-joist manufacturer both are blaming the abuse the egger boards took from 6 months of bad weather as being the source of the floor movement/bounce.  While Egger themselves remain adamant their product would be fine.  (It did swell a tiny bit on a couple of exposed edges but that was about all)

6 months is a bit of a joke though. I think from memory egger warranty 45 days exposed to weather.   All exposed edges should have been brushed with the same foaming glue as well.

If you know you wont be getting watertight in that time don't put the floor down. With your builder on that one.

As for bounce, who specified the joists ? Struct eng  ? Was the egger fitted correctly and noggins used where ends not hitting joists etc ? Was it screwed every 150mm ?

Edited by Dave Jones

8 minutes ago, trialuser said:

Egger specifically don't want it screwed every 150mm.

Used to be first row only, now seems it can be first row only or optionally a few other fixings at 1200mm

they also say to screw the leading edge when installing which makes it very hard to butt the next one up if there is any deviation at all in the trusses.

150centres and not a squeek or bounce out of mine. All ends landed on a truss or noggin.

5 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

they also say to screw the leading edge when installing which makes it very hard to butt the next one up if there is any deviation at all in the trusses.

You tuck the next board into the previous and THEN screw the leading edge of the previous board, not before. To be done with the glue wet, not left an then 'come back to it'. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You tuck the next board into the previous and THEN screw the leading edge of the previous board, not before. To be done with the glue wet, not left an then 'come back to it'. 

bit difficult as the next board hasnt been layed yet as the row has to be completed before the next one joins. 

neverthless we ignored that part and screwed them down as the next wow was fitted.

8 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

bit difficult as the next board hasnt been layed yet as the row has to be completed before the next one joins. 

neverthless we ignored that part and screwed them down as the next wow was fitted.

Not difficult at all, done it on every floor I've ever laid. You just need to get a wiggle on, and lay each row into each other with the glue still wet. Most rooms are leas than 7m so less than 4 boards long.

Many ways to skin a cat though. Poor cats :( 

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not difficult at all, done it on every floor I've ever laid. You just need to get a wiggle on, and lay each row into each other with the glue still wet. Most rooms are leas than 7m so less than 4 boards long.

Many ways to skin a cat though. Poor cats :( 

i dont think you understand......

We floored the house at one time not rooms ....

Length of longest run? On a long run, eg 7 or 8 boards long ( @2.4m per board x8 would allow for a 19m run ) needs at least two people on it. Still easy to lay wet on wet.

I understand just fine, and have been laying these types of floors for a 1/4 century. If the job needs more hands to the pump to execute it correctly, then that is what I applied. Never had a single squeak from a single floor, ever.

Glad that your method worked, also.