Yesterday we sprang a leak - today's coffee time challenge is..

MikeSharp01

When I fitted air con in my last place the unit in the loft had a folded galv tray under the unit with a drain pipe that went to the outside, any condensation or water drips would exit out the pipe very effectively. 

So maybe we should start thinking about these under any wet equipment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

When I fitted air con in my last place the unit in the loft had a folded galv tray under the unit with a drain pipe that went to the outside, any condensation or water drips would exit out the pipe very effectively. 

So maybe we should start thinking about these under any wet equipment. 

Condensate drain pipes or trays with pipes tend to be de rigueur on commercial installs.

I found that if you hunt around you can usually find a plastic tray that will be the right sort of size.  The ones made for gardening like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garland-Garden-Trays-Various-Sizes-Types-Colours-Plastic-Hydroponic-Greenhouse/131800494006?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190705%26meid%3D1b04e6e4aff2486f848526df591e0ac3%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226 are often a good starting point.  You can usually fit a small tank fitting and run a drain from them or fit a water level alarm, as I've done in the water treatment plant shed, or do both, so you have a warning of a leak as well as somewhere for the run off to go.

The tray and overflow pipe is just so much easier and requires no thought. Run the discharge pipe over a door or window so you can see it's leaking reasonably quickly. 

Dont forget a simple easily accessible means of local isolation, like a 1/4 turn lever valve.