Rainfall Shower Head

Onoff

Something then like this:

20180508_130502

20180508_130558

Got as far as cutting the box sections:

20180513_192246

It was meant to be a zero spend project but rather than make I bought some 15mm long nylon spacers for the pivot points:

20180513_192305

And then splashed out on some end caps for the box section. Spent about a tenner so far.

Drilling next!

Batch drilling the arms:

20180514_080131

The 15mm long, 8mm dia spacers fitted beautifully in 8mm holes but they were for M4 bolts. I decided to up the pivot shaft size to M5. The 15mm long, 10mm dia spacers are a PIG to get in 10mm holes! :( Pressed a couple in with the vice but had to lightly csk the box. Might open to 10.2mm. 

20180514_080216

But it'll work:

20180514_082604

20180514_082617

20180514_082636

Just now, Onoff said:

Batch drilling the arms:

20180514_080131

The 15mm long, 8mm dia spacers fitted beautifully in 8mm holes but they were for M4 bolts. I decided to up the pivot shaft size to M5. The 15mm long, 10mm dia spacers are a PIG to get in 10mm holes! :( Pressed a couple in with the vice but had to lightly csk the box. Might open to 10.2mm. 

20180514_080216

But it'll work:

20180514_082604

20180514_082617

20180514_082636

Can you make me one also ?

34 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can you make me one also ?

You'd need a valid reason...just 'coz I haven't got one doesn't come into it! 

Don't get too excited as my ADHD will likely soon kick in & it'll get put to one side!

:)

Just now, Onoff said:

Don't get too excited as my ADHD will likely soon kick in & it'll get put to one side!

Oh man !

My reasoning was the same as yours “just because I can”

44 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So why use this and not just drive a threaded rod ...?? It’s not like you need the force to drive it and a rod would make it easier to drive vertically....

Just now, PeterW said:

So why use this and not just drive a threaded rod ...?? It’s not like you need the force to drive it and a rod would make it easier to drive vertically....

You're no fun!  

But sketch something up and I'll consider changing my approach. :)

A threaded rod will drive the lift.

Drilled out the pivot points to 10.2mm but of course then the nylon spacers were a clearance fit. I've secured them in place with clear CT1. The ones at the end were easy but for the middle one I had to make up an extension for the mastic gun nozzle:

27336934217_d873ecea8e_b.jpg&key=465e34e

In the loft today altering the soil run. Then I can see work easier on the rainfall head position and get an idea of how wide the lift needs to be.

...unless I get bored!

26 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ill put another pot of coffee on......

You might have to wait a while for the next thrilling installment! :)

Waiting for the Neurofen to kick in at the mo. Doing the soil pipe yesterday and I didn't bat an eyelid at the smells etc which is unusual for me. I got proper stuck in, gloves but no mask mind. A bucket of bleach to wash the existing components in and hosing it all off in the garden etc.

So the reason I feel rough is cholera / typhoid I reckon. Nothing to do with the beer, wine & kebab last night...

• Haha 3

So I've to come across to where they disappear into the dark with two 15mm pipes, pumped hot & cold. Feed is from the bottom of the picture. Loosely laid in a couple of "cat damaged" lengths of copper:

20180520_110303

They need to come across, under the newly elevated soil pipe and then up the side of the dormer:

20180520_110435

20180520_110356

(Hopefully the abortion of white waste pipe will "soon" be replaced with 50mm solvent waste!)

The thing is that ALL the horrible pipes that come across the top of the dormer will eventually be gone if I go for a UVC / TS which will be on the ground floor.

SAM_4934

So for now I need to pick up from these flexis for pumped hot and cold, mindful that later the feed will be from below not above.

20180520_110455

Just trying to figure a neat isolation solution before I go and buy some Pegler red & blue valves!

Don't forget to preempt what hot and cold will need to be 22mm ;)  Cold is simple, if the pipe is feeding two or more outlets then it needs to be 22mm, then 22mm all the way back to the stopcock. 

Hot can be 15mm to two outlets if they aren't ever going to be on at the same time eg shower and basin in ensuite will only need a single 15mm feed teed accordingly at the room.  

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

PS. 

Bloody hell. Do I post here about general plumbing or back on the mother thread :S ?

General plumbing's good! :)

As you know the original plumbing here is a point-to-point f***fest! So gradually it'll all come out. The shower pump is nom 10m from those flexis above. From the ensuite shower it jumps from 15 as you can see then goes across the top of the dormer (7m) in 22. It drops back down to the shower pump in the eaves the other end where it's 15 for say the last meter.

The supply to the pump is; hot in 15 all the way to the pump from a Surrey flange atop the cylinder. Cold comes from the 25gal cws in 22 then 15 for the last metre. The pump was shagged when we bought the place so replaced with the only one that said it could cope with a 25gal fed...most said 50gal min. 

Where I'm working now, above the new bathroom I've already done it in 15mm in the walls and then just left them poking up into the loft. I was hoping to do 15 across the loft as I've got the pipe. Something like this:

2018-05-20_03-42-36

Edited by Onoff

If the upstairs shower is teed into the hot and cold run, then it should be with 22mm tees with 15mm centres and then 22mm pipe onward to the cylinder & cold main. 

Maybe look at setting this up for an UVC and keep your old copper tank as a heating buffer ? Or are you happy to go one cylinder and make it a TS?

I think we should keep the plumbing on the other thread and just dedicate this one to your latest beer-fuelled invention ?

Hmmm...

Got to re think the route of the shower feed pipes:

20180520_181437

20180520_181456

Just move them to the left I guess...or rethink the lift! :(

I reckon get the lift going as a "bolt between joists" unit then see how things feel. 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If the upstairs shower is teed into the hot and cold run, then it should be with 22mm tees with 15mm centres and then 22mm pipe onward to the cylinder & cold main. 

Maybe look at setting this up for an UVC and keep your old copper tank as a heating buffer ? Or are you happy to go one cylinder and make it a TS?

I think we should keep the plumbing on the other thread and just dedicate this one to your latest beer-fuelled invention ?

Any chance then of hiving the plumbing bits off and dumping in the other thread?

Isn’t the movement going to cause a problem ..??

There is no vertical rise other than the rise at the fixed point which would then need either the motor at right angles or the motor moving on the frame. 

I still think a vertical rise with the motor at the top and a threaded bar would be quicker and easier. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Isn’t the movement going to cause a problem ..??

There is no vertical rise other than the rise at the fixed point which would then need either the motor at right angles or the motor moving on the frame. 

I still think a vertical rise with the motor at the top and a threaded bar would be quicker and easier. 

Like this?

2018-05-20_07-48-29