Rainfall Shower Head

Onoff

Setting out for the rainfall shower and I thought I'd get down off the stool and have a beer. Back up I went and promptly marked out about the other mark I'd originally marked for a downlight when I wasn't having a rainfall head or mitred corner! Bear in mind the mitre corner board wasn't in place as I was insulating the wall. Boy did it look wrong when I put the corner board in!

20180426_191537

Duly adjusted:

20180426_205753

I've the centre of the shower 570mm from the mitre board. Seems to give me enough elbow room. 

Fitting a ceiling shower arm then. Yet to get one. 

Seems there's a short type:

arm15tech

And a longer version:

hudson_reed_ceiling_mounted_shower_arm_a3220_line

Both the above are Hudson Reed dimensions. Does the short one day affix to a thin steel bracket above the plasterboard and the longer one through a noggin?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

Both just fix to a 1/2” male iron on a piece of copper. Last one I did I put a ballofix on the end of the copper on a swept bend and clipped the bend to the joist above. I reinforced the ceiling with 3 squares of plasterboard stuck on with no nails or similar and then drilled the hole from below. 

Bit of silicone around the rim of the hole and pushed the piece through from the top and a baby wipe later it was all done. 

Looking at that one, it’s a smaller hole and then the back nut holding it on so probably just needs the PB pad making up about 3 sheets thick. 

• Thanks 1

Ive just fixed a tap outlet to some ply - up behind the plasterboard.  Once the new skim is dry its going to be drilled to expose the outlet and then ptfe and screwed in.  Job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @PeterW & @CC45. If ever you remove the shower head for cleaning is it just then a case you need to firmly grip the chrome stalk coming out of the ceiling to stop that turning, or you could end up undoing / backing off the joint in the loft and affecting it's PTFE joint?

Head has a rubber washer in it like a shower hose - stem is done up tight into the fitting with PTFE as per any joint and then the head just spun on to finger tight so comes away easy. 

If you are using stillsons to put a shower head on then you’re doing it wrong.....

• Thanks 1

Ive got that HR ceiling arm.  No washer came with it?  the tap fitting cant move - 3 screws hold it in place.  I put loads of ptfe on it and screwed it hand tight into the tap fitting.  Pressure tested up to 6 bar - no issues. As @PeterW said no stillsons necessary!

I've ordered both of those Hudson Reed ceiling shower arms (from The British Bathroom Company), the short one above (ARM15) just for now,  to get it going and a 300mm long ARM16 for when I build the motorised, "rise and fall" mechanism to raise / lower the shower head either flush to the ceiling or a foot lower.

(Yes, I've started the mechanism, it's a scissor lift :). Well aware I should be getting on with boarding and tiling but short attention sp..... ). 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2018 at 12:25, ProDave said:

having spent a week in a house with this sort of shower I would say I would most definitely NOT want it as my only shower.  Personally I hate water falling on my head all the time with no option to get your head out of the water.  Give me a wall mounted adjustable spray head any time, I can wet my head when I choose and just wet my body when I choose.

All I am saying is find someone with this sort of shower and give it a try before you commit to that as your only shower. You may like it, you may not.

We have high overhead showers in the new place. As I'd feared, it's exactly as you say - virtually impossible to shower without having your entire head under running water.

I also don't think they rinse as well/quickly as an angled wall-mounted shower head.

One thing it's done is reduce our water consumption. I used to be a big one for thinking in the shower in the morning, but now I just wash and get out. Interesting that a larger flow shower would be a net reducer of water consumption! 

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Well I know people who hate rainfall heads and I like “ normal “ ones so I installed dual ones where you can switch from one to the other. Everybody is then happy ( I hope!).

I love rainfall showers but have the dual ones as on occasion I just want a quick shower without washing my hair and it’s much easier to do that with a normal shower head that’s not raining down on top of your head. 

34 minutes ago, newhome said:

I love rainfall showers but have the dual ones as on occasion I just want a quick shower without washing my hair and it’s much easier to do that with a normal shower head that’s not raining down on top of your head. 

Me too,  the normal shower is better for rinsing our hair dye to as you can hold it closer and don't get the dye splashing everywhere so much, 

7 hours ago, jack said:

We have high overhead showers in the new place. As I'd feared, it's exactly as you say - virtually impossible to shower without having your entire head under running water.

I also don't think they rinse as well/quickly as an angled wall-mounted shower head.

You could try a shower cap :D or the type we have that allows both options.

P1010001.thumb.JPG.9e9dcde9ccc92faa1a91088fa7390257.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Me too,  the normal shower is better for rinsing our hair dye to as you can hold it closer and don't get the dye splashing everywhere so much, 

Not done the dye thing yet as still trying to pluck out the stray grey ones rather than resort to dye :D

27 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

You could try a shower cap :D or the type we have that allows both options.

P1010001.thumb.JPG.9e9dcde9ccc92faa1a91088fa7390257.JPG

We (she) wanted something sleeker than that.

We do have a separate hand-held sprayhead, but there's nothing to mount it to the wall at head height. Comes in handy when cleaning though!

• Like 1

Peter, that’s exactly what I have installed in both bathrooms. Regarding posh hidden stuff, my son had one and when it went faulty, leaked he was quoted £400 odd just for a new valve, twice what he paid for the original shower on Ebay. Mine, you can get replacement units anywhere and it’s all accessible .?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

We do have a separate hand-held sprayhead, but there's nothing to mount it to the wall at head height. Comes in handy when cleaning though!

I put pretty much that in  (by Bristan I think) when I replaced the NewTeam one that came with the house. A lot to be said for exposed bar mixers.

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2018 at 17:30, jack said:

Could you not glue one on?