Rainfall Shower Head

Onoff

From my other threads many will know I'm planning a rainfall shower head set on the ceiling above the wet room corner. Something like this:

imageResize.jpg.81ecace45cd767ffa1161345ca58c416.jpg

The wife wants a "round" one rather than square so that's still under discussion.

The thing is that before deciding on the above  I was having a downlight in pretty much the same position. There WERE to be 4 downlights; 1 over the bath, 1 over the basin, 1 over the wc (I read "in there" lot :) ) and this one above the shower.

So I started to look at the LED ones, like this but to be ceiling mounted:

f101395d0eaa7ddc_0941-w500-h362-b0-p0-q87--contemporary-showerheads-and-body-sprays.jpg.37b169a444d4c0384c4cd1db6a5cbfc4.jpg

The thing is I don't think the LED ones will light the shower area well enough.

Ideally I want a shower head, in stainless whereby I can fit a, IPx7, SELV downlighter slap bang in the centre. This rather than separate lighting over the shower area. Figure even if well above Zones 1 & 2 and not subject to direct splashing it's wise to treat as if it's in Zone 0!

I've even considered making one. Other than there'll be a downlight sized hole in the centre of the rainfall can anyone see anything against this idea?

having spent a week in a house with this sort of shower I would say I would most definitely NOT want it as my only shower.  Personally I hate water falling on my head all the time with no option to get your head out of the water.  Give me a wall mounted adjustable spray head any time, I can wet my head when I choose and just wet my body when I choose.

All I am saying is find someone with this sort of shower and give it a try before you comit to that as your only shower. You may like it, you may not.

As for the coloured lights. Pointless.

• 4 weeks later...

Still mulling over this rainfall shower head. I WANT it flush to the ceiling. Current thinking is to buy a cheap as chips, Chinese, stainless steel circular one. THEN have a st/st plate laser cut and put x4 15mm dia, 12V deck lights at the corners.

I have a rainfall shower head going in (had one before so I know what they are like) but I am having mine on an arm as it makes it very much easier for cleaning and maintenance. I am also having an adustable head fitting on a rail on the wall all worked from the same shower valve. I would never have just the rain head its not adequate on its own and you try cleaning the shower with just that you will find it impossible to rinse off tiles screens etc.

As to lighting we are not lighting directly overhead we are lighting the wall and the niches in the wet area with other lighting in the rest of the room as normal. We have used a professional lighting design company and this is their design. Lights are in and we are first fixed and already I can see how it will look.

Try looking at your lighting a different way, I have learnt loads from working with the professionals and it is money well spent.

Here is a pic of wet room first fix and lighting in.

17F4D3A4-C038-4DD8-8C77-D6A9BD57EB18.jpeg

• Like 1

I do like overhead shower heads and, after 12 years of having one, now dislike the rail mounted ones that come at you sideways.

How high is your ceiling? Your water temperature will reduce as it drops which is a waste if you have the head mounted much above 6.5 or 7ft.

As to lighting, overhead downlights cast nasty shadows when you stand under them. IMO. And the one over the bath will probably glare down at you try to have a relaxing bath.

As you can gather, I am not a fan of this form of lighting.

Professional light design... xDxDxD

2470mm unfinished floor to ceiling

So an inch over 8'. 

I want a ceiling mounted o'head shower end of! :) With UFH and 150mm of PIR all round it'll be toasty in there I hope anyway. I can always warm the room up with a blast from the 9kW body dryer before a shower.

The wet room corner just needs light in that corner. With the current 4 downlights on that corner could do with another but the position is exactly where I want the rainfall head. 

All 3 pockets will be down lit so that'll take the eye of any "losses" in that corner.

I've tried the bath and happy with the 3 spots in a line above. I did CAD it up with the 60 deg beam angles etc. Although cool white it's not "blinding" in the bath at all. The spots will be on a dimmer anyway. The idea is get in the bath, beer on the side, kill the spots and switch on the ambient.

Beauty is in the eye of and all that! ;)

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

Still mulling over this rainfall shower head. I WANT it flush to the ceiling. Current thinking is to buy a cheap as chips, Chinese, stainless steel circular one. THEN have a st/st plate laser cut and put x4 15mm dia, 12V deck lights at the corners.

No, no,.......and no. 

The rainfall heads need a constant light scrub to keep the jets from going grotty, so you really don't want then either out of comfortable reach, or next to a painted ceiling. 

Either have the drop bar, or the wall mounted arm, and have the shower head where you can move it easily whilst showering. You really don't want to be stepping out of the shower area and getting the edges of the shower tray excessively wet which is what will happen with your proposal. 

Go for something like these or these wall mounted. They look quite nice, and create an 'expensive' feel to boot. I fitted 4 rectangular ones in the last 1400x 900 shower enclosure ( showroom charged around £200 a pop o.O for that exact same light ) and they gave plenty of light off. You don't exactly need to be floodlit in the shower tbh. 

A shower head with lights coming out of it is going to look a bit like a weird tbh. One of those things that sounds like a good idea at the time but maybe the result would be a bit cheap looking. Sorry. 

Well I have the beginnings of a "drive"! A 24VAC valve actuator. Has an M8 threaded portion through it. A quick hole drilled thru and will "climb" an M8 threaded rod.

20180129_144324.thumb.jpg.a84686131e88f08dc45dc46a3c52b50d.jpg

20180129_144343.thumb.jpg.75b5092f9964a88a4d17229eddeb2850.jpg

20180129_144416.thumb.jpg.e3d3d80020d199141cfd59c797975dd9.jpg

20180129_144535.thumb.jpg.7e8c256ea8827aaef88e5dd855153a24.jpg

20180129_160948.thumb.jpg.888340e7bfb077ee237f8f673a694eea.jpg

20180129_144655.thumb.jpg.9e3d7e10fffb0dc895d30f6612095297.jpg

Only problem is it's too damn slow! :(

Edited by Onoff

I don't want to / can't easily change the gearing on the valve actuator. Nor do I want to over drive the motor voltage wise even if for a short period. Altering the frequency seems OTT.  Thinking a cheap Chinese 1000rpm motor (s) with a 2mm dia shaft. Most have a different mounting plate to the Premotec mounting flange so I'll have to make an adaptor.

This is the motor frame size:

9904-111-32-series-synchronous-motors-datasheet.pdf

Edited by Onoff

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:18, Onoff said:

So.....what I need then is a rainfall shower head up on the ceiling.....that DESCENDS for cleaning at the touch of a button..... ;)

Or, have it set in your ceiling held in by neodymium * magnets and on a securely fixed coil of hose rather than rigid pipe so it can be simply pulled down to clean ?

*Wow, spelled that correctly first time! 

29 minutes ago, curlewhouse said:

Or, have it set in your ceiling held in by neodymium * magnets and on a securely fixed coil of hose rather than rigid pipe so it can be simply pulled down to clean ?

*Wow, spelled that correctly first time! 

Any idiot could do that. It takes a really special sort of idiot to do what I'm proposing... :)

• Haha 1