North south divide

Russell griffiths

Has anybody noticed building materials being cheaper up north. 

I watched over Christmas HOMES UNDER THE HAMMER. and couldn’t believe some of the work carried out for tiny budgets, the one I watched had quite a nice loft converted and I couldn’t believe the small amount of money they said it had taken. 

Granted wages for tradesmen will be cheaper but are there any deals to be had from merchants. 

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

A lot of HuTHers do their job win labour.

They also tend to keep quiet about things like 3% stamp duty.

I agree the program is a crock of s##t 

but after looking at the price of plywood in the merchants I wonder if prices are altered to suit house prices and wages. 

I know around my way they seem to have a price in the shops that gets adjusted for the horsey set and second home owners. 

5 logs in a bag for £6.50

a small joint of pork in the butchers was £33 two days before Christmas. 

I must confess we have first taped and now streamed most of the homes under the hammer

Some of the budgets are ridiculous

Exspecially the ones that have dun a full renovation for under 6k

The ones that we find the most realistic seem to be those that have 30 properties plus

Also have to remember that many HUtH programmes are repeats - many as old as 5 years.  Google pics of Martin to get an idea of when any specific programme was recorded

Edited by Hecateh
typo

On 2 January 2018 at 21:37, Hecateh said:

Also have to remember that many HUtH programmes are repeats - many as old as 5 years.  Google picks of Martin to get an idea of when any specific programme was recorded

Good point We have noticed that

same with Kirsty and Phil 

Tap on a wall None load baring 

Plaster for a day 100 Plumber 100 Sparks 100 500 quid job done

Costs 220 for a skip

Im guessing a bag of cement would cost the same were ever you are in the U.K. 

Wages around the sites in Manchester and Liverpool are around £170 per day More for price work Much more for bricklayers at the moment 

The problem we have on here is the best trades people are not readily absolve to us as self builders 

Most of the big company’s are guaranteeing a decent wage rain or shine We can not

Most are paying double time or at least time and a half for weekend work

Somthing else that we as selbuilders do not have the budget for

One of my rental properties had what I thought was a small leak from the copper cylinder

Turned out to be nackered

£1400 for a replacement 

Cheaper to replace the seven year old boiler 

The two guys I use for repairs work cards in for a 24 repair company

needed the boiler fitting asap 

Weekens they are paid double time

I had to stump up £700 for a baxi compact and £1100 for two men all day Saturday half a day Sunday

Not a bad hourly rate

32 minutes ago, nod said:

One of my rental properties had what I thought was a small leak from the copper cylinder

Turned out to be nackered

£1400 for a replacement 

Cheaper to replace the seven year old boiler 

The two guys I use for repairs work cards in for a 24 repair company

needed the boiler fitting asap 

Weekens they are paid double time

I had to stump up £700 for a baxi compact and £1100 for two men all day Saturday half a day Sunday

Not a bad hourly rate

I had to do an emergency boiler replacement for a T in late November. Had to go through one of the online sites and quotes were between 1900 and 4850. The existing would be 350 in Ariston parts plus labour plus at least  a two week delay - not acceptable in a cold snap without hot water, and a lot for a six year old boiler.

That was for a Worcester Bosch, and also a few bits and pieces, and some jury rigging of control systems. There were some control issues with the ufh that had been there for some time of which I was not aware.

Part of the reason I was starting to ask about ASHPs.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I was thinking say. 3 whole packs of osb and 2 pallets of plasterboard.

or what if you made it up to a whole truck load, could it be worth it if spending £5000 or more. 

How much is a whole pack of OSB or plasterboard per sheet? Roughly.

It may be someone has a good source.

F

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

If I was on national tv I'd lie about my costs - wouldnt you?

Yep

My friend built a five bed house last year for 137000

Not sure how Although he’s a bricklayer by trade he didn’t even build his own gate posts

5 minutes ago, CC45 said:

137,000 - that seems v cheap - how much per m2?

I’m not sure but it’s rediculously cheap

He drove the dumper for to days

abd made a few cups of tea

As a site manager he has access to labour But they still need paying

Ive spent £160000 so far to get to first fix With about £25000 of that being labour

Materials as we all know are exspensive 

Labour is supply and demand depending on area unfortunately trades are pretty expensive around here!

I would argue material is cheaper South than north (aberdeenshire), we don't have competition locally with build merchants. We pay extra for shipping north! Generally on ebay/gumtree more selection further south.

2 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Labour is supply and demand depending on area unfortunately trades are pretty expensive around here!

I would argue material is cheaper South than north (aberdeenshire), we don't have competition locally with build merchants. We pay extra for shipping north! Generally on ebay/gumtree more selection further south.

I would agree with you there

Many of the eBay sellers that offer free post are attaching post code that are perhaps more familiar to you than me With a caption call for postage details for these codes

9 hours ago, nod said:

D2E1DF92-DCA1-4A14-A694-AF9497D29849.jpeg

Cheers. It is all very tactical, and depending on the material there are horses and courses.

For a comparison this morning I can buy Knauf 12.5mm Wallboard, either square or tapered edge, for about £5.11 a sheet, delivered free if I order £300 for my bulky order. That is the indicated price minus normal bulk (6 for 5?), trade (10%), and gift card (another 10%) discounts from my local Wickes.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Plaster+Plasterboard/Plasterboard/c/1000220

That may not quite beat the price, but it may be more convenient. Others may well have better sources. There is quite a bit more on the Savings threads.

For another eg, the Vapour Panel is £9.26, which is not quite as good. Unless you catch one of their 5% off trade specials, or 15% off but not trade days.

Hope that helps.

Ferdinand

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Cheers. It is all very tactical, and depending on the material there are horses and courses.

For a comparison this morning I can buy Knauf 12.5mm Wallboard, either square or tapered edge, for about £5.11 a sheet, delivered free if I order £300 for my bulky order. That is the indicated price minus normal bulk (6 for 5?), trade (10%), and gift card (another 10%) discounts from my local Wickes.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Plaster+Plasterboard/Plasterboard/c/1000220

That may not quite beat the price, but it may be more convenient. Others may well have better sources. There is quite a bit more on the Savings threads.

For another eg, the Vapour Panel is £9.26, which is not quite as good. Unless you catch one of their 5% off trade specials, or 15% off but not trade days.

Hope that helps.

Ferdinand

Yeah there won’t be a massive difference on wallboard But I can beat Wicjes hands down on moister sound fire boards at least a couple of quid per board

The drywall adhesive is about 3 quid per bag more 

and it’s Nauf Very few contractors use it As it not as good as the real thing

Also I’m guessing that Wickes would charge extra for 2.7 and 3000 boards 

But Wickes  and bq will beat many of the builders merchants