When is a Shadow Gap acceptable?

ToughButterCup

11 hours ago, JSHarris said:

How hard would it be to come up with a gadget to neatly grind out shadow gaps after plastering, I wonder?  The trick would be finding a tool that would cut neatly, leaving a very tidy edge, but I bet it would be a winner if you could make it work.  The time saving could be massive, and significantly reduce the cost, and allow more adventurous use of gaps as design features.

Over time the straight edge would chip and become unsightly. The bead gives a minor bit of protection.

• 2 years later...

Interestingly Stephen, we want shadow gaps with our concrete floor but our architect is warning against. He's worried that any irregularity/wavyness in the floor will be too easy to see with unforgiving shadow gaps. We're planning a power floated finish rather than polished.

Are you happy you will be able to achieve a crisp finish - and if so can you share how?!

• 2 months later...
On 18/09/2020 at 18:51, Tom said:

Interestingly Stephen, we want shadow gaps with our concrete floor but our architect is warning against. He's worried that any irregularity/wavyness in the floor will be too easy to see with unforgiving shadow gaps. We're planning a power floated finish rather than polished.

Are you happy you will be able to achieve a crisp finish - and if so can you share how?!

Hi Tom, sorry - just seen this now!

The concrete floor is being installed first - Lazeby insisted on this.  That should derisk builders setting the shadow gap at irregular intervals.  Lets hope it works!  I will keep you posted.  For the first floor we are now going with skirting - to help pin our accoustic flooring down.

Shadow gaps = home for spiders to live?

Ours is a typical newish build so nothing like the levels of insulation aimed for on here. Now that the colder months are here we seem to find more bugs and insects inside the home? Before you question it yes we are clean and hygiene conscious ?

love the idea of shadow gaps but hate the idea of nooks n crannies for  dust and stuff to gather.

• 2 years later...
On 02/01/2018 at 10:32, IanR said:

We've put shadow gaps at all floor-to-wall joints and around all door linings in the living areas of the house where we have hard floors. We haven't used them in carpeted or tiled areas.

We've used them for their aesthetic. We have minimal steps/rebates/shoulders etc. around any features and have tried to keep that theme running throughout the house. 

We have used a very simple skirting/architrave in carpeted areas. Our logic to this was that the more hoovering required in these areas would risk damage to the bottom edge of plastered walls if we used a shadow gap against carpet. We also wanted a slightly softer look in the bedroom areas.

Some thought needs to go into how it is best to deliver shadow gaps around door linings. Two schools of thought: 1. temporary ply liners in to board and plaster to, then remove ply liners and fit final liners, or. 2. fit final liners and mask/protect then plaster up to them.

We went with 1. and found we got some cracking around the liners as we fitted the final door liners. As the liners were screwed in they pushed against the edge of the shadow gap trim and the plaster cracked behind it. This happened on a couple of doors and required chipping out the cracked area and filling. If it was a painted or varnished finish to the door liner I'd try 2. next time, but natural, lacquered or oiled finish and I'd stick with 1. to avoid staining on the finished door liner.

We used Qic Trims

https://www.qic-trims.com/product/type-r/

After decoration you will need to mastic the gap from the edge of the shadow gap trim to the floor/door liner. There will always be gaps that need finishing. 

Shadow gaps do seem to mean different things to different people. To me they are a small rebate at wall-to-floor and wall-to-frame junctions that disguises the actual joint in a shadowed area. I know they are also used in conjunction with skirting to create a rebate above the skirting, but to me that's not a "shadow" gap.

Our version of a shadow gap:

image.thumb.png.bdb8356f4a04d29c9f3c6f80681ec4bf.png

image.thumb.png.2134f6838bb46012008b745bfbdcbf2c.png

That is very nice!

• Thanks 1

So this got me thinking last night to see whether there was a good solution to installing these around door linings.  I came up with the below approach.   If fitting them to stud walls then the dimensions of the wall will be 95mm and therefore your rebates that you cut with the fine kerf will be straightforward.  Block walls might be trickier.  it all depends on how and who fits the trims to the stud work or blockwork.  

IMG_2996.jpg

• Like 1