HEP 20 and inserts

joe90

On recommendation from people on this forum I have used HEP20 for all my plastic plumbing and generally found it great to use. One problem however is when de mounting fittings ( using the proper tool) I find the metal inserts ( pipe supports) stay within the fitting and if force is used to get them out, the “teeth” in the fitting get ruined. What am I doing wrong?

Happy new year to everyone.

21 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I don't think your pushing the tool in fully and keeping it there whilst de-mounting the fitting. Partially losing pressure on the tool will close the fitting enough to grab the insert. 

I will try harder sir ?.

• Like 1

Right, been playing with this and found that the metal inserts have a barb on them to grip the inside of the pipe when inserted and you need the pipe to keep the insert dead centre when trying to remove the pipe from the fitting.  It appears some of my inserts had less than perfect barbs so easily came out of the pipe. With just the insert in the fitting it’s almost impossible to keep it dead centre so even with the tool it catches on the grips within the fitting. I now make sure the insert barb right to grip the pipe when inserted. I tweeked the barb and re inserted the pipe, then removed it complete with insert. Job done. ?

Edited by joe90

31 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Right, been playing with this and found that the metal inserts have a barb on them to grip the inside of the pipe when inserted and you need the pipe to keep the insert dead centre when trying to remove the pipe from the fitting.  It appears some of my inserts had less than perfect barbs so easily came out of the pipe. With just the insert in the fitting it’s almost impossible to keep it dead centre so even with the tool it catches on the grips within the fitting. I now make sure the insert barb right to grip the pipe when inserted. I tweeked the barb and re inserted the pipe, then removed it complete with insert. Job done. ?

And another plumber meets his untimely demise ?

"Damn you, pushfit !!!!"

I have found the same when occasionally demounting HEP2O fittings.  As you say, it's because the insert barbs aren't gripping the pipe.  I found that you can just use the demounting tool to unlock the fitting and extract the insert using pointed pliers.   Note that the job of the insert is to brace the pipe internally so that the grip ring inside the fitting bites properly into the wall of the pipe.  The insert barbs not gripping doesn't impact the insert's role. It just makes demounting a slightly more inconvenient two-step process.

• Thanks 1