Kerb lights 0.5W or 1W?

Bitpipe

Almost done with the external landscaping.

Wall and gate pillars built, motors fitted in the ground and driveway edged in block, just a little more type 1 to go in before the 50mm porous tarmac sub base and 20mm bonded resin go on in a week or so. Driveway is H shaped with in and out gates and additional space in front of the garage and other side of house.

I've decided against drive over lights in the tarmac/resin as they are quite expensive and making the connections with armoured cable is fussy.

Instead, my electrician has recommended a 24v system, putting lights in the edging blocks and running the tails into the soft ground behind where the connections can be made in waterproof JBs. I will put duct in to cary the supply cable across the driveway where required, drivers in my kiosk that now contains meter, main fuse, DB for garden area, one gate controller and loop detector (getting a bit tight for space!). Will fit a lux sensor on the side of the kiosk so that all lights only come on when dark.

I need about 18 lights, (allowing a 4 m spacing) and am looking at these two options, one is 1/2 W and other is 1W. I will have two drivers with 9 lights on each. There is also a dimmable driver available. 

http://www.collingwoodlighting.com/en/products/ground-lights/item/gl018c-uk

http://www.collingwoodlighting.com/en/products/ground-lights/item/gl019f-uk

Unfortunately I cant test a sample in time for the blocks to be pre-drilled next week and as they are different diameters (28mm vs 33mm) I need to commit to one or other now.

These are just to mark out the driveway at night so don't need to be super bright - the expensive option is to buy the 1W units with the dimmable driver and turn them down if too bright. Cheaper option is to get the 1/2 W units but no option to turn them up if too dim.

I've marked out the positions with tea lights and these look quite good - how bright are they by comparison?

1/2 W should be fine, that's about the power of a normal torch, if you want a rough indicator.  I think that drive lights need to be quite dim, just bright enough to show where the edges are and not much more.  If they are too bright I think they could be a distraction.