Drive matting

nod

See section 3.3.4 (b) "Work closely connected to the construction of the building". Includes driveways.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction

I don't see a problem reclaiming the matting as hardcore isn't shown on plans either and that can be reclaimed.

I haven't used gravel retainers but have used concrete "reinforced grass" blocks. 

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I have used it.  Works very well.  I prefer the larger gravel as it does not get picked up in tyre treads or footwear.  Don't make the gravel too deep.

I remember a deep gravel car park behind some premises put in at a nearby market town some years ago -  the first cars onto it were completely stuck and had to be towed out! :D

Edited by curlewhouse

I used gravel in the plastic grids, particularly for the free draining properties. Both for a car use area, and for a pedestrian access path - ok for wheelchairs. I bought grids backed with terram by Nidagravel, which were a bit more expensive at c. £10 /m2 IIRC, but very easy to use. The irritation is that the gravel size specified for the grids is very small and drifts a little on boots and tyres. I am planning to try a slightly larger size of chukkies [14mm] to see how they ride, and if they bed into the grids sufficiently. Generally pleased with the system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curlewhouse said:

I remember a deep gravel car park behind some premises put in at a nearby market town some years ago -  the first cars onto it were completely stuck and had to be towed out

We similarly got stuck on deep gravel, late one evening on holiday in Spain, outside a hotel.  A couple of very nice Spanish policemen, who just happened to be passing and saw we were stuck dragged us out using their police car.  It was a quite tricky operation as the car kept nearly grounding itself on the kerb, but completed sucessfully with no damage about half an hour later, with a lot of hand waving as we didnt speak spanish and they didnt speak english. 

Edited by Jml

• 1 year later...
On 29/12/2017 at 22:22, jack said:

I guess you know this, but angular gravel works a lot better than pebbles. It always surprises me when people use big round pebbles on driveways. 

My brother has pebbles on his drive, the only good thing is he can hear people walking up the drive, mind you, he lives in a paper thin house!

My eco warrior says use road planeings for the drive?

• 2 weeks later...

We've just had our driveway finished with Bodpave. Very grippy. Was super easy to put down once the levelling was done. Quite a bit of it showing, going to give it time to bed in and maybe put some more chips on top. 

DSC_0114.JPG

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Really like the K6 telephone box.  I've wanted one for years, but SWMBO vehemently opposes the idea every time I've suggested it.

We seriously considered having one in our house, possibly set up as a bar. Hard to justify the cost at the time though...

12 minutes ago, jack said:

We seriously considered having one in our house, possibly set up as a bar. Hard to justify the cost at the time though...

Plus the weight considerations - 750kgs! All the parcels go in there and we also have a letter box. Camera keeps and eye on everything. 

• Like 3