Single room ventilation

G,day

having just done a quick lash up refurb on our bathroom in the old house, I have found a fairly bad humidity/steam/condensation problem

i ripped out the old electric shower and fitted a nice mixer,cheers @Nickfromwales for the advice. 

New glass screen and a bit of tilling. 

Fitted a fairly nice xpelair ceiling fan. 

So the problem is steam turning to water droplets and hanging on the ceiling, just to drop on you as your sitting on the toilet hours later ???

the room is aprox 2.4 x 2.4 so not huge and now the shower is lovely I spend 15 mins every night standing there thinking about timberframes verses icf. 

There are no vents in the window. 

My thoughts are to add a vent high up to allow the ceiling fan to draw out the steam by allowing fresh air in, the problem with this will be pulling in cold air from outside. 

So ive been  looking at heat recovery fans and thought I had found a solution, but on looking for reviews I found it was a bit mixed. 

So anybody got any thoughts.

just as a bit of info this house may end up as a rental for a couple of years. 

Cheers. 

I think step one would be to increase the timer on the fan to run for 20 minutes after the person leaves the bathroom.

If you want to draw air in, then perhaps trim the bottom if the door by 6-8mm (?).

The issue I have had with HR fans in bathrooms is that the air coming in, even though it has most of the heat in it, will still be cooler than that going out and will be perceived as cold by a person in the shower.

Ferdinand

• Thanks 1

One of the comments I found was that the incoming air although warm, was colder than the air inside so did feel like a draft coming in.?

A problem i have is there is no overrun facility on the ceiling fan. May have to upgrade. 

I like the the idea of trimming the door, that hadn’t occurred to me, even though I used to have a house with full aircon where all the doors had a good 10mm gap under them. 

23 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

A problem i have is there is no overrun facility on the ceiling fan. May have to upgrade. 

Been there ....

Bought the cheapest fan possible with overrun, and just took the timer circuit out and stuck it into a box in the attic inline with my big new centrifugal fan. Quicker and cheaper than upgrading the fan. 

• Thanks 1

Yup had the same problem in my very cold bathroom, put a fan with overrun timer in and undercut the door, we hang the floor towel  on the back of the door and as the air is sucked from under the door it helps dry the floor towel, one less wet item to cause problems..... 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

One of the comments I found was that the incoming air although warm, was colder than the air inside so did feel like a draft coming in.?

I like the the idea of trimming the door, that hadn’t occurred to me, even though I used to have a house with full aircon where all the doors had a good 10mm gap under them. 

This is my normal good value Manrose bathroom fan at 75 cubic m per hr, overrun timer and backdraft shutter in the fan at £25. I have installed 2 or 3 in both walls and ceilings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ8L8ZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That comment was probably me.

If you do do a Through the Wall HRV fan, one tip is to mount it in a 110mm rigid soil pipe set into the wall so you can get it out again cleanly for maintenance.

Edited by Ferdinand