Aaaarrggghhhh!

Hecateh

On 21/12/2017 at 11:33, Hecateh said:

will still be over specced but will save about a quarter (like 400 mm tapering to 375).

Don't want to cause trouble but 400 tapering to 375 is 1/32 ie 3.4%, not a quarter, fewer bricks - unless it is not so high.

If he has told you it is a quarter less in bricks or money, you are doing well if they stick to their forecast.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

11 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

course it is - just shows how much my brain is fried not realising that.  

So tapering to 300 - ,akes more sense

300 is still only 1/8 as it is an average width of 350. 

Hope he means tapers to 200.

(Sorry.)

Edited by Ferdinand

Shame the engineering bricks are already on site or Id be saying get concrete blocks in,if it absolutely has to be masonry. 

And as for them speccing Flemish bond....

The strongest bond is header bond ( all bricks paid with header face showing.) Followed by English Bond (alternate courses of headers & stretchers.) Flemish is my favourite aesthetically but it is NOT a bond selected for its strength. If you're now down to a 1 & a half brick wall (as a 3 skin deep wall is referred to-a 9" wall is a one brick wall,4" is half brick etc) then I'm extremely tempted to recommend building two outer skins as a cavity wall with wall ties & back filling the cavity with concrete. The Labour saving on this method would be substantial. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Brickie
Xmas eve
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2017 at 20:37, Brickie said:

Shame the engineering bricks are already on site or Id be saying get concrete blocks in,if it absolutely has to be masonry. 

The strongest bond is header bond ( all bricks paid with header face showing.) Followed by English Bond (alternate courses of headers & stretchers.) Flemish is my favourite aesthetically but it is NOT a bond selected for its strength. If you're now down to a 1 & a half brick wall (as a 3 skin deep wall is referred to-a 9" wall is a one brick wall,4" is half brick etc) then I'm extremely tempted to recommend building two outer skins as a cavity wall with wall ties & back filling the cavity with concrete. The Labour saving on this method would be substantial. 

Good luck. 

Yeah - unfortunately it all came down to timing in the end.  With it being Christmas if we hadn't gone ahead when we did everything would have been out for about 10 days which just wasn't practical. They are on contract so wages would have had to be paid.  And my lack of experience was a big added hindrance.  They have got a fair way on already with just 2 days bricking

20171226_133702_resized.jpg

On 24/12/2017 at 20:37, Brickie said:

Good luck. 

Out of interest, is this header bond?

5741921e9dbed_Thepunjitrap.thumb.JPG.b19043c5ca51dd77a41ad750e3471fef.JPG

It was alternate rows laid with one row with the blocks aligned along the axis of the wall (two blocks thick) and then the next row aligned across the wall, so the ends were facing out.

The lower part of our big retaining wall was laid like this, with rebar up through the holes (that were later concrete filled) and also rebar laid across the horizontal joints.  The guys building it reckoned that the SE had gone a bit OTT, especially given the size of the reinforced concrete foundation.

Edited by JSHarris

50 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Look on the bright side, that ain't gonna fall down any time soon ?  Is that the concrete footing seen projecting out in front !

Yes, and out the back, too............

The footings are 2000mm wide by 400mm deep, plus a 360mm wide  x 400mm deep key on the bottom of it, under the wall section, so the footings are actually 800mm deep reinforced concrete (C35) under the wall itself.  1350mm of the 400mm thick reinforced concrete footing projects out the front of the wall.............

The second page of the SE's sketch below shows the wall construction detail:

20130228093748130.pdf

Edited by JSHarris

23 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Out of interest, is this header bond?

Can't quite see from the angle of the photo but from your description sounds like English bond.

All long face of block showing one course,all narrow face showing the next?

Back to the OP-looks good so far-sectional joints through the wall tell me they know what they're doing (or at very least they know the rules of bonding!)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Brickie said:

Can't quite see from the angle of the photo but from your description sounds like English bond.

All long face of block showing one course,all narrow face showing the next?

This is the note on the SEs details, which makes it seem a bit more complicated than that:

5a43aeb513560_Retainingwallbond.thumb.jpg.105831a679c8aade8962116588915b7f.jpg

Ah,it's a modified version of English bond,with the stretchers staggered to avoid a weakness with sectional joints as you would have with true bond & header course every 3rd. 

This bond may have a name but it's not one we were taught for Advanced Craft City & Guild's!

Edited by Brickie
Double take
  • Like 1

Thanks. perhaps that's why the SE went to the trouble of doing that little handwritten sketch on the drawings, to make sure that the guys built it as he intended!

I can see how it works, with the two courses staggered and then the course of headers tying the front and back sections together.  Somehow I don't think it will fall down, especially as the vertical steels project around 700mm down into the footings...................